Non-Trad assistance with school list (GPA 3.93 MCAT 521)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tkotzur

Reaction score
Hi,

Decided to post to try to get some feedback in figuring out what schools I should apply to or have a chance with as I have an odd background. My application was sadly a little late but should be verified within the week so I wanted to add some more schools to my list while I am writing secondaries.

I am a non-trad, ORM but disadvantaged first-generation, who is three years out and will be four years out of undergrad by the time I matriculate. I began a Ph.D. in Bioengineering at UPenn but due to massive issues with my advisor ( no rotations, was not allowed to work on anything remotely close to what I was promised), a realization that I wanted to have a role in patient care and focus more on translational research led me to leave the program. I now work in a research lab under a surgeon-scientist who has given me a great perspective and desire to pursue medicine.

GPA: 3.93 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA (Biomedical Engineering) attended a minority-serving state insulation

MCAT: 521 (130,129,132,130)

Shadowing: 150 hours shadowing an oncologist at a phase 2 cancer therapy center. 250+ hours shadowing my current PI who is a pediatric surgeon.

Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours of peer mentoring students from K-12 throughout my undergrad. mentored disadvantaged community college students (150 hours)

Research: Around 15000 hours. I have worked in a variety of labs from beginning in community college. My major lab in undergrad I worked in for three years which led to multiple posters and oral presentations at national conferences along with awards. My work culminated in a first author publication and an undergraduate thesis. Two summer internships, one at MIT and another at UCSF. A six-month Co-Op at Merck research laboratories during my final semester. One year in a Ph.D. program at the University of Pennsylvania. Two years full time as a researcher with my current lab by the time I matriculate, this lab is heavy on translational research focusing on extreme prematurity and congenital defects and treatments for them. So far I have one first-author publication from this lab and there will hopefully be more by the end of my time.

Publications: Two first author publications.

State of Residence: Texas
LOR: I feel they will be very strong however I do not have a committee letter as my MCAT was delayed and I was not able to have my school's committee interview me for this cycle. I have my current PI, my undergraduate PI, the dean of my honors college from undergrad (worked with her extensively on fellowships), the oncologist I shadowed, and an engineering professor I have had multiple classes with.

For Penn specifically, I also have my PI from MIT and my supervisor from Merck writing additional letters.

National Honors: NSF GRFP, Goldwaters Honorable mention

Other:
One institutional action for receiving a C during the first semester of my Ph.D. work.

School List: I am applying solely to MD programs with the exception of Penn where I am applying for MD/Ph.D. solely to continue working with my current PI (who fully supports me pursuing this path) I think I may be optimistic in my school choices but I am not sure. I would prefer to go to a school where research is a focus. I truly want to integrate patient care and research in some form. Penn's MD/Ph.D. is my top choice but I also understand just how competitive and difficult it is to get into Penn's program.

Current List:

UTSW
Baylor
Dell Medical
Long School of Medicine
UPenn-MD/PhD
Pitt
NYU
Columbia

Thank you for any feedback and thoughts. I worry that I have not given myself enough time to prepare for this cycle but do not want to delay it another year if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should apply to ALL your Texas MD schools. Do not assume that because you are a high stats applicant that you will be accepted to a top 20 school. You could also add Carle Illinois since you fit their profile.