Non-Trad; Below 3.0 GPA, Sub 500 MCAT. I hate my job. Desperate plea for help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedTee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been feeling kind of lost and let down in my premed journey and I'm seeking help, or counselling from anyone who's been in a similar situation or who's generally more knowledgeable.

I graduated w/ a Bio-degree in 2017, but didn't have amazing grades. I had a sub 3.0 gpa which was obviously my fault. Not due to partying or drinking, but I was very unfocused and had difficulty trying to create good study habits. My father died the first year I transferred and my grades plummeted. The next year my mother had a stroke and my brother was hospitalized 3 times for colitis. Needless to say, I felt stretched thin, and I could barely keep myself together and I have no other immediate family in this state. Despite this, I stayed in school and kept working part time to try to generate the much needed income.

As soon as I graduated, I found a scribing job that would give me the clinical experience I needed. After a year of working I took the MCAT and didn't do as well as I would've liked. I received a little less than 500 and couldn't understand why I felt academically short. I saw a neuro that diagnosed me w/ ADHD and put me on Vyvanse. I come from a conservative Christian household, so I was hesitant to take medication, but I did, and It's definitely improved my way of life.

I haven't retaken the MCAT, but instead I took a few upper level bio courses at my state university and did pretty well ( 2 A's and a B+). I felt like my grades improved because I was finally able to stick to a study plan/ habit that worked. I wanted to retake my MCAT after the most recent course, but COVID hit and those plans deteriorated. Now I feel like if I tried studying for the MCAT, I'd have to recoup so much knowledge that has slipped away in the past year.

My plan was to apply to DO schools and pray that the 4 years of extreme clinical experience, my story, and an upward post bacc trend would at least grant me an interview, however I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Additionally, my work place has become toxic. COVID has made it worse, but It's literally just 12-16 hours of scribing at a high paced site. Management is awful and they clearly don't give a **** about us. We avg high patient numbers every single day w/ MINIMAL staff most days, and their response is simply "work harder." I'm quite frankly fed up w/ the company and my management team.

With all that said, I don't know what my next step should be. I want to quit my job and apply for an SMP and show that I can definitely do rigorous course work. I've heard of SMPs that have a bridge to medicine program, and I honestly think that's my best bet. I contemplated retaking the MCAT, but I know my application would be late and I'd like to be the most efficient with my time.

If anyone is willing to give any advice, suggestions, or even job suggestions, I would sincerely appreciate it. I feel like I've hit rock bottom, and I'm not getting any younger. I'm contemplating nursing (I'd need to take A&P 1 and 2 and maybe other prereqs) or some other profession to make a decent living, since bio grads are mainly limited to teaching, pre-med, pre-PA, or lab work and I have no lab experience.

TLDR: Sub 3.0 gpa, Sub 500 MCAT; Work is great clinically, but is beyond toxic and I need to quit. Getting old, and I need to make a living. Do I apply for every SMP under the sun? Do I apply DO and Caribbean? Do I try to retake the MCAT? Please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is that if you can afford to not work and take a different program (preferably one with a linkage w/either a direct acceptance or guaranteed interview w/certain GPA), then you should just go ahead and do that program. Life is too short and, as you said, you're not getting any younger. I have been in toxic work environments and I should have moved on earlier than I did. Four years is definitely enough experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Do a postbacc and show sustained success. Retake the MCAT and aim for >505. Apply broadly (more DO, some MD). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Disliking your job shouldn’t factor into your decision to go to medical school. If you just want to change the role that you play in healthcare and you feel like you’re “getting old and need to make a living,” there are plenty of other lucrative career paths that don’t require four years of schooling and three or more years of intensive training.

Reactions: 2 users
I am new here, but I think you should re-take the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I've been feeling kind of lost and let down in my premed journey and I'm seeking help, or counselling from anyone who's been in a similar situation or who's generally more knowledgeable.

I graduated w/ a Bio-degree in 2017, but didn't have amazing grades. I had a sub 3.0 gpa which was obviously my fault. Not due to partying or drinking, but I was very unfocused and had difficulty trying to create good study habits. My father died the first year I transferred and my grades plummeted. The next year my mother had a stroke and my brother was hospitalized 3 times for colitis. Needless to say, I felt stretched thin, and I could barely keep myself together and I have no other immediate family in this state. Despite this, I stayed in school and kept working part time to try to generate the much needed income.

As soon as I graduated, I found a scribing job that would give me the clinical experience I needed. After a year of working I took the MCAT and didn't do as well as I would've liked. I received a little less than 500 and couldn't understand why I felt academically short. I saw a neuro that diagnosed me w/ ADHD and put me on Vyvanse. I come from a conservative Christian household, so I was hesitant to take medication, but I did, and It's definitely improved my way of life.

I haven't retaken the MCAT, but instead I took a few upper level bio courses at my state university and did pretty well ( 2 A's and a B+). I felt like my grades improved because I was finally able to stick to a study plan/ habit that worked. I wanted to retake my MCAT after the most recent course, but COVID hit and those plans deteriorated. Now I feel like if I tried studying for the MCAT, I'd have to recoup so much knowledge that has slipped away in the past year.

My plan was to apply to DO schools and pray that the 4 years of extreme clinical experience, my story, and an upward post bacc trend would at least grant me an interview, however I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Additionally, my work place has become toxic. COVID has made it worse, but It's literally just 12-16 hours of scribing at a high paced site. Management is awful and they clearly don't give a **** about us. We avg high patient numbers every single day w/ MINIMAL staff most days, and their response is simply "work harder." I'm quite frankly fed up w/ the company and my management team.

With all that said, I don't know what my next step should be. I want to quit my job and apply for an SMP and show that I can definitely do rigorous course work. I've heard of SMPs that have a bridge to medicine program, and I honestly think that's my best bet. I contemplated retaking the MCAT, but I know my application would be late and I'd like to be the most efficient with my time.

If anyone is willing to give any advice, suggestions, or even job suggestions, I would sincerely appreciate it. I feel like I've hit rock bottom, and I'm not getting any younger. I'm contemplating nursing (I'd need to take A&P 1 and 2 and maybe other prereqs) or some other profession to make a decent living, since bio grads are mainly limited to teaching, pre-med, pre-PA, or lab work and I have no lab experience.

TLDR: Sub 3.0 gpa, Sub 500 MCAT; Work is great clinically, but is beyond toxic and I need to quit. Getting old, and I need to make a living. Do I apply for every SMP under the sun? Do I apply DO and Caribbean? Do I try to retake the MCAT? Please help :(
Retake the MCAT because right now you're pretty much DOA even for DO.

Also, read this:

My friend, you are one of the fortunate few premeds who has stumbled across the truth of what being a doctor is like before investing your life in medical school.

The lesson you should learn from this experience is not "what do I need to do to get there" but "I'm damn lucky to have learned that I shouldn't want to go there now, before I was forced to."

Drop by the Emergency Medicine forum if you have any more questions where you can get real facts from actual practicing attending physicians who have serious questions about their life choices.

The golden age of private practice medicine is long gone. Modern Medicine is like a black hole. At some point as you get closer to it (typically after you incur the student debt for med school), its gravitational force takes over and you have no option but to be drawn in and be crushed.

You are still outside that gravitational field. Correct your course. Add an MBA to that bio degree and join the flock of vultures. Don't volunteer to be the carcass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users