Non-Trad California resident... am I just screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palsi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
3.4 cGPA 3.5sGPA. Two degrees, B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.A. in Psychology. 36T on my MCAT. I am currently in a gap year doing research at a top 20 research university in the US under a NIMH RO1 grant. I have 3 publications in manuscript at the moment, and am a primary author on one that looks like it's going to be published in either PNAS or Neuroscience. One of the others is a cancer recovery model and the third is a developmental model of schizophrenia. I have some strong ECs: 200+ community service, was selected to be the author for a Public Health analysis of the city in my undergrad, founding member of an environmental organization that raised $62,000 for fresh water wells in Africa, founding member of an organization that enables small fundraisers utilizing crowdsourcing, and by June 1 I'll have about 100 hrs clinical.

But... I'm from California, and after lurking SDN I truly believe I'm screwed everywhere. My #1 is UCI or UCSD but it just seems like it's impossible to get in there. What do you guys think I should do? Is my GPA bad enough that I should do a post-bacc or a non-official post-bacc?

This is my first post so I hope I'm not breaking any ettiquette... Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,
3.4 cGPA 3.6sGPA. Two degrees, B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.A. in Psychology. 36T on my MCAT. I am currently in a gap year doing research at a top 20 research university in the US under a NIMH RO1 grant. I have 3 publications in manuscript at the moment, and am a primary author on one that looks like it's going to be published in either PNAS or Neuroscience. One of the others is a cancer recovery model and the third is a developmental model of schizophrenia. I have some strong ECs: 200+ community service, was selected to be the author for a Public Health analysis of the city in my undergrad, founding member of an environmental organization that raised $62,000 for fresh water wells in Africa, founding member of an organization that enables small fundraisers utilizing crowdsourcing, and by June 1 I'll have about 100 hrs clinical.

But... I'm from California, and after lurking SDN I truly believe I'm screwed everywhere. My #1 is UCI or UCSD but it just seems like it's impossible to get in there. What do you guys think I should do? Is my GPA bad enough that I should do a post-bacc or a non-official post-bacc?

This is my first post so I hope I'm not breaking any ettiquette... Thanks in advance.
Your GPA is low, but your science GPA is quite a bit higher, so that should help. Your MCAT is obviously excellent, clinical volunteering is a little low at 100 hours but I doubt it would be a deal-breaker, research is well above average, good leadership, etc. Do you have any shadowing? If not, get some ASAP.

If I were you I would apply very broadly out of state to schools that take a good number of out of stater's, as well as the less-competitive Cali schools. Apply to some DO schools if you would rather go DO than apply a second cycle. With a cGPA that is somewhat low but not abysmal as your only real weak point, I think you will get in somewhere when you apply, but you don't want to limit yourself to only California/competitive schools. Good luck.

ETA: definitely apply as soon as you are able to to maximize your chances, of course. Don't apply late in the cycle.

I also forgot to mention that I have some stellar recommendations: a former ADCOM member for UCSD who's had some pretty serious research findings in the past 20 years, chair of the department I'm doing research in and then just your typicals.

Members don't see this ad :)
ALL of my clinical hours are shadowing hours....... are they not the same?

ALL of my clinical hours are shadowing hours....... are they not the same?
Usually both shadowing and clinical volunteering is expected, in addition to any non-clinical volunteering. If you have extensive shadowing and non-clinical volunteering that might make up for an absence of clinical volunteering, but it is best to have something in all the categories to maximize your appeal.

Is the community volunteering you list clinical, or non-clinical? I assumed it was non-clinical.

Non-clinical. All service work essentially: handing out goods to homeless, tutoring kids etc.

Some other small questions: I am a legacy at UCI, does that matter at all? I know they ask on the secondary, but does it hold any weight that my father did his medical school there? Also, does the fact that a former ADCOM member for UCSD wrote my personal rec hold anything?

I know this doesn't save my GPA, but because I have two degrees (essentially went to college twice), I took an insanely heavy workload every semester.

Sorry for all the questions, I am new to the process.

Also, I realized I typoed 3.6 which is actually 3.5 for my sGPA....

Non-clinical. All service work essentially: handing out goods to homeless, tutoring kids etc.

Some other small questions: I am a legacy at UCI, does that matter at all? I know they ask on the secondary, but does it hold any weight that my father did his medical school there? Also, does the fact that a former ADCOM member for UCSD wrote my personal rec hold anything?

I know this doesn't save my GPA, but because I have two degrees (essentially went to college twice), I took an insanely heavy workload every semester.

Sorry for all the questions, I am new to the process.

Also, I realized I typoed 3.6 which is actually 3.5 for my sGPA....
I wouldn't bank on being a legacy getting you in, and wouldn't count on a LOR on getting you in, but by all means apply to both schools as it would probably give you a boost. Just be prepared to apply broadly out of state, and intelligently, to maximize your chances. This doesn't prevent you from applying in-state, but it will make you more likely to get in somewhere, which is the whole point. :)

I wouldn't bank on being a legacy getting you in, and wouldn't count on a LOR on getting you in, but by all means apply to both schools as it would probably give you a boost. Just be prepared to apply broadly out of state, and intelligently, to maximize your chances. This doesn't prevent you from applying in-state, but it will make you more likely to get in somewhere, which is the whole point. :)

Gahhhh I know. I just really want to head home! Thanks for the advice, in case you were wondering here's my list:

UCI
UCSD
UCD
UCLA
Loma Linda
USC
Loyola
Michigan State
NYU (because of connections)
Northwestern (because of connections)
Ohio State (huge OOS class)
OHSU
Rush
U-Hawaii because why the hell not!
U-Illinois
UWashington

bump.... anyone else have thoughts?

Your research is pretty much the best it can get. Research is like top 5% of applicants.
The thing that is holding you down is your CA residency which kind of banks on a higher GPA avg that most schools.
Overall, I believe you are competitive OOS for MD. Don't bother DO if you really prefer MD. It looks like you are really interested in research and DO doesn't have a great amount of opportunities that MD can have.
You are not screwed by any means, it may be harder to get in Cali schools, but I think with your research and EC's, you may be able to secure an interview if you apply broadly.
In the mean time, around 12 other schools should be added in addition to CA schools.
Look for OOS that are research intensive as they may be more inclined to invite for an interview.
Also, do you have an upward trend in your GPA?
GL!

Gahhhh I know. I just really want to head home! Thanks for the advice, in case you were wondering here's my list:

UCI
UCSD
UCD
UCLA
Loma Linda
USC
Loyola
Michigan State
NYU (because of connections)
Northwestern (because of connections)
Ohio State (huge OOS class)
OHSU
Rush
U-Hawaii because why the hell not!
U-Illinois
UWashington
Isn't Southern California the best? :D

Michigan State has insanely high tuition for out-of-state students (60k+). The University of Washington accepts very, very few out-of-region applicants. I believe that Hawaii is similar. If money/time are an issue, you might be better off replacing them with more friendly state schools or private schools.

Your research is pretty much the best it can get. Research is like top 5% of applicants.
The thing that is holding you down is your CA residency which kind of banks on a higher GPA avg that most schools.
Overall, I believe you are competitive OOS for MD. Don't bother DO if you really prefer MD. It looks like you are really interested in research and DO doesn't have a great amount of opportunities that MD can have.
You are not screwed by any means, it may be harder to get in Cali schools, but I think with your research and EC's, you may be able to secure an interview if you apply broadly.
In the mean time, around 12 other schools should be added in addition to CA schools.
Look for OOS that are research intensive as they may be more inclined to invite for an interview.
Also, do you have an upward trend in your GPA?
GL!

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I do have a "somewhat" upward trend. I was taking 21 credits of upper division biochemistry/bio/chem for 2 years along with psychology credits. My GPA did improve from year to year, but not as drastic because of the workload.

I'm hoping that my research will be attractive to UCSD!! Hometown school and they are a huge research institute. I've also gotten to know some PhDs there through conferences and stuff so hopefully I'll be heading home.

Thanks!

Isn't Southern California the best? :D

Michigan State has insanely high tuition for out-of-state students (60k+). The University of Washington accepts very, very few out-of-region applicants. I believe that Hawaii is similar. If money/time are an issue, you might be better off replacing them with more friendly state schools or private schools.

Seriously, man. So homesick, ready to be back. Maybe I'll cut UW and Hawaii. I have awesome connections at MSU, a random connection with the guy who they named the medical school after never hurts, along with the GFs parent's being huge donors to the school so I'll probably keep it and if I get in I'll move there immediately and begin establishing residency so that hopefully the 60K doesn't hurt too much.

Thanks for the reply.

OK I'll add my two cents.

What you are really going to have to be stellar on is your PS. Unfortunately, the two big factors they immediately look at are GPA and MCAT. The GPA will hurt a tad but the MCAT will do excellent things for you. You have great research experience. I think the adcoms will see you as a viable candidate as long as the LORs and your PS are excellent. Interview time just be genuine, honest, and natural.
I see no reason to apply for DO unless you like the philosophy behind it. If you would like to be involved in research later, go MD.

Just have a killer, unique, intriguing, and genuine PS that will make the adcoms want to get to know you. I think that is where your main focus should be on at the moment.

good luck dood
hopefully i'll see you at ucsd fall 13

OK I'll add my two cents.

What you are really going to have to be stellar on is your PS. Unfortunately, the two big factors they immediately look at are GPA and MCAT. The GPA will hurt a tad but the MCAT will do excellent things for you. You have great research experience. I think the adcoms will see you as a viable candidate as long as the LORs and your PS are excellent. Interview time just be genuine, honest, and natural.
I see no reason to apply for DO unless you like the philosophy behind it. If you would like to be involved in research later, go MD.

Just have a killer, unique, intriguing, and genuine PS that will make the adcoms want to get to know you. I think that is where your main focus should be on at the moment.

good luck dood
hopefully i'll see you at ucsd fall 13

Thanks man. I do have a pretty good PS idea written up, a reader here at the university I work at said it is one of those PS that really makes them curious about me and want to bring me in to ask me about some stuff! So hopefully that'll do.

Thanks once again.