Non-Trad Career Changer - Foreign Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aceegreene

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on SDN and I need some advice. This post might be a better fit for the international sub-forums, however, most of them seem dead and non-responsive which is why I decided to post here.

I am 29 years old and work in public health in my home country. However, I have become increasingly disillusioned with my work and the development sector in general, having worked at multiple places. While the work may have an impact (however minimal) on people's lives, I as a professional am so far removed from it and stuck in the office that it does not motivate me at all anymore and I literally have to drag my feet to work and feel like quitting everyday.

What I actually enjoy doing and am good at is hands-on work on the ground and directly interacting the people I am impacting. I have recently realized that one profession that offers this is medicine, where you can see the positive effect on someone on a daily basis. In line with this, I have begun exploring opportunities to enter medical school in my country with an eventual plan to move to the USA for residency. I understand that IMGs have a tough time matching for residencies in the USA, but honestly I cannot afford medical school in the USA, but should be able to cover local med school costs and eventual costs for electives, Steps etc.

Side note: I will be a green card holder eventually, making me a US-IMG which gives me a somewhat better chance than non US-IMGs for matching into residencies.

I understand that this will be a long and difficult process but honestly I am quite tired of the work I have done so far and am willing to take my time with this to get me on a path that gives me satisfaction instead of spending the rest of my life in a career I do not feel motivated for anymore.

Kindly let me know your thoughts on the matter, any advice you may have and whether you think this is doable or not (even if the chances are slim).

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A general rule is that if you want to practice in the US, you should attend a US medical school. Medical school is expensive for everyone which makes it a tough decision.

Regarding your green card status, what if you don't get it right after medical school and you have to wait years and years to apply for residency? What if you get it mid-way through medical school and now you have to spend 6 months out of the year in the US? I knew a couple of FMGs when I worked in the hospital, but most of them had to work in research labs for a couple years before they got residencies. That meant making 40k or less while waiting to meet the right doctor who might put in a good word for them.

It's not impossible, but if you're going to be a US permanent resident soon, it might be worth waiting it out and doing it in a more surefire way, then trying to save money for a slimmer chance at practicing.

A general rule is that if you want to practice in the US, you should attend a US medical school. Medical school is expensive for everyone which makes it a tough decision.

Regarding your green card status, what if you don't get it right after medical school and you have to wait years and years to apply for residency? What if you get it mid-way through medical school and now you have to spend 6 months out of the year in the US? I knew a couple of FMGs when I worked in the hospital, but most of them had to work in research labs for a couple years before they got residencies. That meant making 40k or less while waiting to meet the right doctor who might put in a good word for them.

It's not impossible, but if you're going to be a US permanent resident soon, it might be worth waiting it out and doing it in a more surefire way, then trying to save money for a slimmer chance at practicing.

So for the green card situation, once I get it I will be able to apply for a re-entry permit and/or enter on a regular basis to maintain status. And I have a very strong network of friends who are already either residents or fellows across the USA, so I will be banking on them for putting in a good word for me when it comes to getting a residency. So hopefully things will work out on that end.

In case I try going for the option of US medical school, could you give me an approximate cost for attending medical school and going for a postbacc? As currently I also have a foreign degree and will need to attend a postbacc to even try getting admission into a US medical school.

Also, is medicine as hands-on as I believe it to be? Or does it also get office-y as years pass and one progresses?

I would imagine if one stays on the clinical side of things, it would stay quite hands-on.