Non-Trad : How much clinical / shadowing experience/ timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AavtarAang-

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a non-trad starting an official career changer post bacc this may. I am wondering if I start shadowing now/ getting clinical experience now that if I apply next year in 2022 if it would be too soon? I have other cool experiences, but not specific to medicine. Although I would be done my pre-reqs, my gut says I should spend another year continuing clinical work and shadowing opportunities. (I'm also going to be EMT certified by August-September and hope to do that for some time as well). I'm hoping to go to MD school in an east coast city where I live, which is pretty competitive, so figured I would need more than one year to make myself competitive since I'm just starting out. Curious to folks thoughts-- thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you wait till June 2022 to apply that would be perfect fine. You have over a year to shadow and get the clinical experience as an EMT.

I think if you wait till June 2022 to apply that would be perfect fine. You have over a year to shadow and get the clinical experience as an EMT.
Realistically I think I wouldn't be able to EMT until September and would do at MOST 10 hours a week because I want to prioritize doing well in my classes. I'll probably have to play it by ear