non-trad include parents' income?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDToBeInNC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a married non-traditional. My husband and I have a child and needless to say I've been self-sufficient for years now. Are my parents really going to be expected to contribute to my tuition costs? Is there some special consideration for older students?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want need-based aid outside Stafford loans or scholarships you must include parental information at most med schools. Your parents are not expected to contribute because that isn't what EFC means. Your personal EFC (plus spouse) is all that matters for your official FAFSA EFC. However, there is a separate need-based EFC that includes parental information that is necessary for need-based aid. If you don't think you will get any scholarships or need-based aid then just forget about it because you don't have to.

Isn't parents information required for a student to be eligible for Health Professions Student Loans?

Isn't parents information required for a student to be eligible for Health Professions Student Loans?

Yes you must include parental information to be considered for the HPSL because it is need-based. It is very similar to Perkins loans since the school decides who can receive it.