Non-trad - MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Prep

• ExamKrackers

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Berkeley Review

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Princeton Review

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • MCAT Elite (Kabir Academy)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Standard

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Wiki PreMed

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

mspeedwagon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to do a poll of non-trads that are in the process of studying for the 2013 MCAT. What MCAT method are you PRIMARILY using? I'm sure there are more options, but I have the basic ones: EK (which I'm using at the moment), Princeton Review, The Berkeley Review, Kaplan, MCAT Elite (Kabir Academy), Gold Standard, Wiki PreMed or Other.

Also, why did you choose the method? I started off with EK b/c the books are a little more simplistic and I need help with learning the basics (thinking the 1001 question series). It's easier to use their schedule with a full time job. I plan to likely build to TPR/Kaplan as I really do need to re-learn a lot of material that I've long forgotten. I'm in the process of reviewing my practice MCAT (AMCAS 3) which I didn't do so hot on. Based on my MCAT review I need help more with material more so than tactics. I got the questions where I had recent base knowledge right even when they were categorized as "hard."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I highly recommend EK bc it gets straight to the point of what you need to know and skips the details that you don't. My prep consisted of studying the EK books and taking aamc practice tests. I took the mcat 7-9 years after I had taken my prereqs and made a 14 bio, 12 phys and 8 verb (ran out of time).

So I'm possibly going to start studying this summer, depending on how a few extra-curriculars pan out. I have an old Kaplan MCAT book I got a few years ago from someone else who took it. Then last year I picked up a complete TPR Hyperlearning set, mainly because it seemed like it got the best overall ratings. I plan to start there and supplement with other materials as needed to fill in gaps. I also plan to take every practice test I can get my hands on.

We'll see I guess. I took physics 1 & 2 at my local community college my senior year in high school back in 2000- 2001. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Other. I will be using multiple and doing SDN2 plan.

I just finished my MCAT exam over the summer. I didnt go through a test prep company because honestly I thought it was too much money, and my wife and I are already short on cash. this is what i did:

Exam Krackers comprehensive package bought from ebay for $100.00
Exam Krackers Audio Osmosis bought online for $70.00
I bought every practice exam from the AAMC website possible bundled with my premed club at my university $130.00
Course saver videos online $100.00 for three months

So total amount spent=$400.00 instead of a course for >$2,000. I thought that was more than worth it for a decent score. I found these materials EXTREAMLY helpful! I probably studied an average of 20hrs a week and I received a 31M on the MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS). Hopes this helps. PM me if you have any questions :)

What did you think of audio osmosis? I heard it's goofy but helpful. I don't know if audio learning is best for me, but given my ridiculous commute I can't help but consider it.

I just finished my MCAT exam over the summer. I didnt go through a test prep company because honestly I thought it was too much money, and my wife and I are already short on cash. this is what i did:

I bought every practice exam from the AAMC website possible bundled with my premed club at my university $130.00

So total amount spent=$400.00 instead of a course for >$2,000. I thought that was more than worth it for a decent score. I found these materials EXTREAMLY helpful! I probably studied an average of 20hrs a week and I received a 31M on the MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS). Hopes this helps. PM me if you have any questions :)

I love it! The great thing about Osmosis is that it follows the lectures in their books to the tee. So what I would do is listen to the Osmosis lecture, read the chapter and take notes, listen the the lecture a second time (usually while driving in my car or whatnot) then take the end of chapter quiz. I loved reading and listening to the same material multiple times it really helps to get it to stick.

It is pretty goofy, but its what helps you remember that meterial. But I am a big audio learner so that probably made it especially helpful for me.

Planning on shelling out some cash on a Berkeley Review course before the April MCAT. Currently, I'm looking through the Kaplan review set in a box I bought earlier this year. I also plan on buying all the mcat exams from AAMC. Wonderful news about the score, Sterling! Any tips for physics? I actually got A's in both classes, but I didnt have the best instructor and I don't feel as though I retained enough information to do well on the MCAT.

What did you think of audio osmosis? I heard it's goofy but helpful. I don't know if audio learning is best for me, but given my ridiculous commute I can't help but consider it.

Osmosis annoyed the hell out of me, to the point where it was more distracting than helpful. YMMV.

The Berkeley Review passages can be really deflating. I'm not used to getting wrong answers consistantly and that's what's happening right now going through them. They are tough, but so is the MCAT, so one the one hand it's great practice on the other it builts emotional and mental fortitude.

Wonderful news about the score, Sterling! Any tips for physics? I actually got A's in both classes, but I didnt have the best instructor and I don't feel as though I retained enough information to do well on the MCAT.

Funny you should ask that because the PS section of the MCAT was the one section I walked away from the MCAT feeling really bad about, and it was my best section!:wtf:
Other than just work out the problems again and again I would suggest focusing mostly on Phsy 1 material. There was maybe one passage on physics two material. Focus on the basic rules and laws, it is rarely tricky material, just worded in confounding ways.

Also remember that half the material is Gen chem stuff too. I would definitely know redox reactions and your electro chemistry (Just from my experience on all the practice exams and the real thing, it can always change of course).

Congrats on your score! Where did you purchase the course saver videos from? What website? Did you follow the Exam Krackers study guide that they have posted on their website?

Congrats on your score! Where did you purchase the course saver videos from? What website? Did you follow the Exam Krackers study guide that they have posted on their website?
Thanks!
I didnt follow their study guide. I just did what worked best for me which was to read the chapters then listen to the corresponding lecture on Osmosis. Then I watched the online corresponding Chad Video from Coursesaver.com that I bought for $100. The videos dont cover exactly the same material in order, but you can get pretty close with them. I then did the end of chapter quizes and then reread the chapter again focusing on the areas I missed in the quiz.

Coursesaver.com is the website for Chad's videos and again I highly reccommend them!

That was my structure. The nice thing about Osmosis though was I never listened to the radio the whole summer. So wherever I went in my car I would pop in a CD and listen idly to the material I was focusing on.

Last edited: