Non-Trad MCAT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syoung

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just came back from overseas for 2 years.
Found out earlier this year that my 2009 MCAT is too old for just about ALL the schools, so plan on taking it in July 7th (june's exam was already full). Now here's the spinner. I've already taken the MCAT 3 times (2007, 2008, 2009). This makes my 4th taking. Will the schools see my other scores or can I just send them this one? Will it matter about the older ones since many schools are not taking scores over 3 years old from matriculation date?
I hope to complete my app by June 5th and send it in, so that all the schools need to do will be to wait for the scores to come in. Will the August release be too late to be competitive with the rest of the bunch?
I did some volunteering in a hospital way back in 2004-2005 time. Should I start back some this summer or no? The reason I was overseas was because of the Peace Corps.
Thanks for the listening

Members don't see this ad.

Just came back from overseas for 2 years.
Cool. Country? Language learned?
Found out earlier this year that my 2009 MCAT is too old for just about ALL the schools, so plan on taking it in July 7th (june's exam was already full). Now here's the spinner. I've already taken the MCAT 3 times (2007, 2008, 2009). This makes my 4th taking. Will the schools see my other scores or can I just send them this one? Will it matter about the older ones since many schools are not taking scores over 3 years old from matriculation date?
You don't do any reporting - it's done by AMCAS. All your scores are reported, in addition to the date of a planned retake. So on your MD app, you'll have 3 lines with test dates and breakdowns and total, followed by a line with a date. Take a look at the MCAT reporting system if you want to see the rules, such as "If you have MCAT scores from April 2003 or later, they will automatically be included whenever you send any scores to a school or program."
I hope to complete my app by June 5th and send it in, so that all the schools need to do will be to wait for the scores to come in. Will the August release be too late to be competitive with the rest of the bunch?
Not necessarily. But take a step back.

You're an RPCV, which is a sweet-ass EC. However, your academic assets will make or break your app. How's your app going to look this summer? Is your GPA low? Were your MCAT scores all average (31) or lower? Are you in California? If any of these are true, you might want some more bake time to maximize your chances of getting accepted.

If you have a great GPA, and your prior MCAT scores had some 31+'s, and you can take a science class or two before you apply, and your letters of recommendation are strong, then go for it. Submit a complete AMCAS on June 5 with your planned retake date.
I did some volunteering in a hospital way back in 2004-2005 time. Should I start back some this summer or no? The reason I was overseas was because of the Peace Corps.
Definitely get back in a clinical setting and see what the economy and obesity hath wrought. Starting a volunteer gig (4 hrs a week or whatnot) now would be a good idea.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply.
I have a 3.57 gpa overall (if I remember correctly) and the mcats were 30/27/32. My question is still, will the schools take into consideration those scores (yes I understand THX will send all scores), or will they consider the most recent one (july 2012), since the 3 scores are over the 3 year limit?
Yes I'm in California. For science classes, well all of my UG sciences were reasonably strong (ie no C's, all A/B) plus I'm a Micro major. Retaking another science class at a CC, would that do much for me? Unless you mean to take something else I haven't taken before, like Anatomy/Physio?
I'll look into some volunteering in May.
What if I consider out of state public schools, would the academic record need to be stronger than in state Med schools in CA?
Went to Guyana, so still spoke English but learned the local Creolese.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.57 gpa overall (if I remember correctly) and the mcats were 30/27/32. My question is still, will the schools take into consideration those scores (yes I understand THX will send all scores), or will they consider the most recent one (july 2012), since the 3 scores are over the 3 year limit?
Depends on the school and the mood of the reviewer. They're going to look at the old scores, no question, but you don't really have a problem here - it's not like you needed 3 tries to get over 30 (which would be a problem). 32 will get you through.

Your GPA/MCAT plus RPCV will get you interviews, probably at UCs, and then you want to show up at your interview with a matched or beaten new MCAT score and a transcript with some fresh A's in a serious class or two.
Yes I'm in California. For science classes, well all of my UG sciences were reasonably strong (ie no C's, all A/B) plus I'm a Micro major. Retaking another science class at a CC, would that do much for me? Unless you mean to take something else I haven't taken before, like Anatomy/Physio?
I'll look into some volunteering in May.
I wouldn't recommend a CC, but it would probably do the trick. I'd be more inclined to find something like biochem or genetics or neuro, upper div, at a UC, through extension or whatever. Too bad it's too late to start a class before you apply. Look at Berkeley Extension, UCLA Extension, etc.
What if I consider out of state public schools, would the academic record need to be stronger than in state Med schools in CA?
That's the thing with California. Your odds are best instate, and/but your odds are crap instate. You need to research schools and pick ~25. Out of state public schools frequently have a fierce in-state bias that you need top 10% stats to get through. The new MSAR is out, and that's a good place to start (see aamc.org).

Getting into a UC should be your top priority simply from a financial perspective. You'll likely save $100k by staying in state.
Thanks for your service.

Best of luck to you.

How do extensions work? Can I just take a class or must it be a complete certificate program?

So they will look at the previous scores, make judgement on it, send 2ndaries if they want, and wait for my next MCAT (july)? Is that the gist of it? How about the timing? I know the june 5th is submission date, plenty of people are going to be like 100% complete with mcat scores and not having to retake etc etc. I will be submitting too, but with a retake for july, which scores come in august. Now would I be slightly disadvantaged, being behind in secondaries? Or, as my first statement, might they be nice and send the 2ndaries still, so I could work on those while waiting for my score?

Oh and for extension, is there any difference if I take online vs live? I mean I don't exactly live near a UC currently.
And courses, any bio class? Phys or chem? I see in extension at berkeley there are courses like epigenetics, techniques of mol bio, bio of cancer. At UCSC, there's stem cell bio, regulation of drugs, bioinformatics.. some are like pre-med courses (which I've taken at UC), and others are a bit different..

Oh and for extension, is there any difference if I take online vs live? I mean I don't exactly live near a UC currently.
And courses, any bio class? Phys or chem? I see in extension at berkeley there are courses like epigenetics, techniques of mol bio, bio of cancer. At UCSC, there's stem cell bio, regulation of drugs, bioinformatics.. some are like pre-med courses (which I've taken at UC), and others are a bit different..

It's surprising, or it was to me when I found out, but you need nothing so glamourous. We're talking bio 101, the same for chemistry and physics. The freshman sequence for each. Typically, what you'd expect to be first year classes for science majors.

Yes but I already took all those. I am a microbiology major. Is there any point in re-taking them? I got A's in most of those, if not B's.

My friend just returned from Guyana as well. Her name's Sara and she served in Linden. Small world.

Yes but I already took all those. I am a microbiology major. Is there any point in re-taking them? I got A's in most of those, if not B's.

No point in retaking your bio. I'd just get review books and use those. Check out the mcat forum for study tips and recommendations. There is a very good sticky with a comprehensive study schedule, even if it doesn't work for most working non trads

No point in retaking your bio. I'd just get review books and use those. Check out the mcat forum for study tips and recommendations. There is a very good sticky with a comprehensive study schedule, even if it doesn't work for most working non trads

I just bought my tbr's... even tho i have the 2003 version, darn them for updating it, but i suppose that's good otherwise it wouldn't be similar to the AAMC's.
too bad though i took the tbr course in 2007. there's no discount for 5 years away.

Is there a MCAT review book that's particularly good for bio content review? I need to review gen Bio this summer before taking some upper division Bio in the fall, but I can't take the full Gen Bio textbook with me during the summer. (It's too heavy and large for my limited accommodations/luggage). I know of plenty of online resources for bio review, but internet and electricity will also be limited, so I would prefer a "smallish physical book." I would also like for it to be MCAT focused so I can kill two birds with one stone.

Is there a MCAT review book that's particularly good for bio content review? I need to review gen Bio this summer before taking some upper division Bio in the fall, but I can't take the full Gen Bio textbook with me during the summer. (It's too heavy and large for my limited accommodations/luggage). I know of plenty of online resources for bio review, but internet and electricity will also be limited, so I would prefer a "smallish physical book." I would also like for it to be MCAT focused so I can kill two birds with one stone.

I would say ek but it's entirely focused on the mcat and nothing more. Since you want to review for upper level classes too I'd suggest tbr which is more detailed.