1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

MD Non-Trad Only Applying to ONE School

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by rstuart05, May 18, 2014.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. rstuart05


    May 17, 2014
    I'll be applying first thing June 3rd but, because I will only be applying to one school in particular, I'm trying to gauge my odds.

    4/11/2014 MCAT - 31 (11/9/11)

    I was only able to prepare for a month, and my score was a few points below my AAMC practice test average (34) but better than my score from 2010 (29).

    B.S. Biology
    B.A. Chemistry
    M.S. Biochemistry
    Undergrad cGPA - 3.51
    Undergrad sGPA - 3.85

    Screwed around freshman year (3.0) but strong upward trend sophmore - senior years.

    pbGPA - 3.65

    Shadowing - 200 hours [160 shadowing family member in ER, 40 with local ortho.]

    Volunteering - 300 hours [~100 hours a summer during undergrad]

    1 year volunteering to teach students in underprivileged parts of the state

    2 years TA in Biology and Chemistry in undergrad.

    3 years research experience (50-70 hrs/week) in a clinical field; muscular dystrophy

    4 publications (1 first, 3 secondary)

    1 year teaching high school science and coaching

    2x Undergrad. Science Professors (I've kept in touch regularly)
    1x Postdoc I worked with while earning my Masters
    1x Lab Manager of the lab I worked in

    I'm a Georgia resident and, since my spouse has a great job, I plan on only applying to one school in particular, Medical College of Georgia. My MCAT and GPA are slightly below the average that was accepted in 2014, but I'm hoping that my ECs help separate me from the pack.

    Any honest advice or constructive criticism on my chances of being accepted are greatly appreciated!

    Thank-you for your time and consideration.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WillburCobb

    WillburCobb I am the pull out king Banned Account on Hold 5+ Year Member

    As someone who has applied to only one school in past cycles I strongly recommend against it.

    Edit - also a non-trad as well.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    DokterMom, candbgirl and gyngyn like this.
  4. OneTwoThreeFour

    OneTwoThreeFour 2+ Year Member

    Oct 10, 2012
    I wouldn't recommend this even if you had a 4.0/45, unless you are prepared and ready for another year before medical school.
    While I can't tell you to move away from your wife, and honestly can't relate to that dilemma, I'll pass along this advice I once read: don't think of it as putting your career in front of your family, rather what is best for your family's future over the present.
    JDWannabe likes this.
  5. rstuart05


    May 17, 2014
    Good advice.

    One of the reasons I have decided to apply only to MCG is that I have ruled out all other state schools. Emory, with my numbers, would be a long shot to say the least, and I'm not an URM so Morehouse is likely out. Mercer would be a good fit, especially since it is my alma mater, but (to keep it short) I had to decline an acceptance offer in 2010 to take care of a sick family member and I doubt that will bode well the second time around.
  6. DokterMom

    DokterMom 2+ Year Member

    Mar 1, 2013
    Applying to multiple schools says you're serious about becoming a doctor and are willing to make sacrifices to make that happen. NOT applying to multiple schools says the opposite.

    Apply everywhere close to your city of residence, MD and DO. Call the Admissions office at Mercer and beg for another chance. Explain why you had to withdraw and how it broke you heart, but how you are ready to try again. (You can show that you used the intervening time well, right?)

    Also work the other end. Where else could your spouse realistically find comparable work? Apply there also. You'll need your spouse's emotional support in any case, so if s/he isn't even willing to consider relocating, then, well...
    gyngyn likes this.
  7. Goro

    Goro 7+ Year Member

    There's always PCOM-GA.

    So what's your backup plan if you go and bomb the interview?

  8. primadonna22274

    primadonna22274 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Your numbers are not bad at all and your ECs are attractive. I must agree, though, that applying to only ONE school is a very bad idea--especially since you turned down an acceptance at Mercer at some point in the past. You are a reapplicant and you need to take advantage of all options.
    MCG is very selective. I would even say snobbish. They seem to have overwhelmingly traditional med students. Heck I TAUGHT at MCG in the PA program and didn't get an interview for med school or for residency (and the IM director is the PA school medical director!!!)
    Make sure you are willing to apply to the Athens campus as well. Apply to Mercer. They liked you once and may well understand why you had to decline the prior acceptance. Apply also to PCOM-GA and VCOM-Carolinas in Spartanburg. Apply also to the new med school at Greenville Health (SC). Upstate SC is no farther from Augusta than to Savannah or Athens.
    I wish you the very best.
    DokterMom likes this.
  9. rstuart05


    May 17, 2014
    My brother is a practicing DO, having studied at PCOM-GA, and, although I'm not completely opposed, I'm not sure if it would be a good fit. I know that this is something that probably shouldn't even be a consideration, but the tuition costs have also been a factor.

    As far as the interview is concerned, I'm more worried about getting to that point. I tend to do well during interviews, but I feel that my stats are so vanilla that I may not get that opportunity. You do have a good point though, what if I have an "off day" and it goes horribly? My tentative plan (which is becoming more apparent that it is not very well thought out) would have been, if I got an interview and it did not go well, to see if I could get in during regular decision. After typing it out, however, I feel that it is a very passive approach to an active process.

    I've never heard that about MCG, but it definitely has me worried. During my Masters I had the pleasure of collaborating with some of the MCG professors and staff, and may be correlating my comfort with the research staff with the adcom. I am actually more interested in the Athens campus, vs. Augusta, but I assumed it would be more selective due to campus size and proximity to UGA.
  10. Goro

    Goro 7+ Year Member

    OK, what's your backup plan if you don't get an II at ANY GA school?

  11. rstuart05


    May 17, 2014
    Immediately, I'll stay at my current job. Long term, I'd probably begin to consider OOS schools and prepare more actively for the possibility of relocation.
  12. Goro

    Goro 7+ Year Member

    Sounds like a plan.

  13. rstuart05


    May 17, 2014

    I've recently spoken with an individual on Mercer's ADCOM and was told that having previously declined, due to my father being ill, will NOT have a negative impact on applying this year. She even mentioned that it could be perceived as a positive thing that I should (and already have) include in my personal statement, which was a little surprising.

    Now I'm at a crossroads. I was going to apply ED to MCG on Monday but now I'm not sure that is a good idea. I actually prefer Mercer's program and am considering applying ED there. Or should I wait until regular decision and apply to both? This last-minute change has thrown me through a loop and I'm trying to figure out what to do before Monday. What are my chances if I do ED to either?
    primadonna22274 likes this.
  14. primadonna22274

    primadonna22274 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    ED to Mercer. You have someone there already on your side. Good luck!

Share This Page