Non-Trad Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thespitfire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I graduated with a Computer Science/Math degree in 2016. I was always interested in healthcare (I took most med school pre-reqs as an undergrad), but I loved Math and tech and opted to go that route because I wasn't sure where I wanted to go in healthcare yet (I also think tech knowledge is valuable in every field). I worked as an engineer in the tech department of a prestigious firm for two years, and during that time made the decision to go to medical school. I've been taking classes at Harvard Extension School since spring 2018 to complete my application. I quit my tech job in May 2018 and have been working as a medical scribe since then.

My recommendation letters will be as follows:
1. My manager at my tech job
2. Another superior at my tech job
3. A bio professor at Harvard Extension School
4. A physics professor from undergrad
5. The doctor I currently scribe for, who I have a close relationship with

I feel confident that these will be strong letters, but I'm wondering if they're enough. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if I need more/different letters. What's your advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

That's enough. Fellow non-trad here. As long as you have two good science references and one from management at work, you meet the minimum requirements. Having someone in healthcare that you have a good relationship with is also great because they see the work you do in that setting and they understand medicine = bonus! The cream on top would be someone from an organization you volunteer for.

EDIT: If you're looking at DO schools, many want a DO-trained physician.

Your list is great. Good luck!

Last edited:
This depends completely on the school. Some schools require a set of specific letters. You're going to have to check which school you're applying to in order to get an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
This depends completely on the school. Some schools require a set of specific letters. You're going to have to check which school you're applying to in order to get an answer.
Have you come across a school that wants more than what this person has?

NYMC: "If you graduated prior to 2016 (this does not include 2016), and are unable to obtain letters of evaluation from your undergraduate or graduate school, we will accept other academically oriented letters. However, keep in mind providing us with the requested letters will strengthen your application."

That's for the current cycle. Next year, it'll change to "prior to 2017".

Generally for non-trad applicants, there is an exception.

The point stands... know where you're applying and decided based on the school's recommendation. Not SDN's evaluation.

Not a hard requirement though. Also not what you see from a lot of schools. Science faculty seems to be the trend.

No doubt - comb through each school's page and FAQ sections. You will want to be privy to their mission, values, secondary questions and range of stats.

That's enough. Fellow non-trad here. As long as you have two good science references and one from management at work, you meet the minimum requirements. Having someone in healthcare that you have a good relationship with is also great because they see the work you do in that setting and they understand medicine = bonus! The cream on top would be someone from an organization you volunteer for.

EDIT: If you're looking at DO schools, many want a DO-trained physician.

Your list is great. Good luck!

Thank you so much! Super helpful. I appreciate it.

Thank you so much! Super helpful. I appreciate it.
;) Good luck to you. You do have a great list. You can also call or message the school if you have a specific question like that. Be sure to be as detailed as possible. Non-trad applicants tend to be removed from school enough that they can't obtain undergrad letters like traditional students.