Non trad, RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lovescience1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm an RN working on my BSN right now (as DNP is my back up plan). I am planning on starting my pre-med courses in Fall 17. Is anyone here taking classes at a community college or university? My priority is getting good grades, saving for med school, and avoiding as debt as possible (also the reason why I became a nurse first). However, I've looked at a couple private universities in the area and the tuition is out-righteous, so expensive. I can't afford to pay out of pocket for these classes, unless I take them at a community college. Another option is I pursued a second baccalaureate degree, like biology, which would cover all pre-med courses and I could qualify for some aids perhaps. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If
Hello,
I'm an RN working on my BSN right now (as DNP is my back up plan). I am planning on starting my pre-med courses in Fall 17. Is anyone here taking classes at a community college or university? My priority is getting good grades, saving for med school, and avoiding as debt as possible (also the reason why I became a nurse first). However, I've looked at a couple private universities in the area and the tuition is out-righteous, so expensive. I can't afford to pay out of pocket for these classes, unless I take them at a community college. Another option is I pursued a second baccalaureate degree, like biology, which would cover all pre-med courses and I could qualify for some aids perhaps. Thank you in advance.
If medicine is what you're going for then go for it. Stop having a back up plan. The only way to succeed this journey is to have no back up plan, this is not like studying nursing or business. Let that be your only goal to get into med school and be an MD. That's all period. Goodluck!

Hello,

Four year institutions tend to be the better route, not necessarily due to inherent quality but due to the fact that some medical schools simply do not accept community college credit. If you're looking towards MD, do yourself a favor and buy the MSAR from the AAMC website. It will show you all MD schools and whether they accept pre-req credits from community college and/or online courses, so you get a feel for what you may be ruling out.

If you have the option to register as a degree-seeking student (you don't have to finish said degree) and get financial aid that makes a four-year affordable then do that, no question.

Why complete a BSN though if you intend to pursue medical school? It sounds as though you're only partway through, and could switch to bio now and be applying in 2017 rather than looking towards spending yet more money on more school. Do you have work experience as a nurse? I assume you're an ADN right now.