Non-Trad, Secondary Application LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harold CricK

counting the days...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at a nursing home in the years between undergrad and medical school, but more within the scope of Healthcare Administration than CNA/PCA. My secondary application requires three LOR's. I have an anatomy professor for whom I worked part-time during undergrad and even after graduating, so he is one of my LOR’s. The second one is from the chief MD at the community where I work, as a testament to my professional abilities. I'm stuck on whom to ask for the third letter.

I had a non-science undergrad major and the professors were none-too-impressed that I was pursuing medicine (the antithesis of their fields). I don't think they'd be able to give a recommendation that highlights my abilities in the healthcare field, only my collegiate ability to do well in their classes. What's more, I finished those courses more than four years ago, so I almost feel as though it would be a moot point since I haven’t kept in touch with them.

I've had people suggest a second professional letter, instead of an academic one. If I go that route, I have two people in mind:

· The person in charge of overseeing individual resident care. This person is an LPN and has seen me work closely with residents - responding to emergency codes (cardiac arrests, falls, etc.), helping with dressing, reading, etc., fixing walkers, all on top of my normal administrative duties. My only concern is how an AdCom would weigh an opinion from a person who is not an MD or PhD. Thoughts?

· A retired physician who lives in my community. He's offered numerous times to write one on my behalf. He has excellent ties in the regional medical systems and has been a mentor for me, even though I haven't had clinical experience with him. Thoughts?

I volunteered in the hospital during college, but took a hiatus since I've had to balance working full-time, going to school, and volunteering with the aforementioned professor so I don't have any contacts for LOR’s from within the hospital. I've begun volunteering again since completing course-work and taking the MCAT's, but have not been there long enough to feel comfortable asking the attendings, residents, or other staff.

Can a med student, resident, or current/past member of an AdCom give me some advice on my third LOR? Of course, if there are pre-med's in a similar situation, I'd welcome information on how you've handled the secondary LOR's. Not to sound impatient, but I'd like to get the secondary in ASAP, so expedited responses are immensly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Harold C.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are a non-trad schools are gonna be lenient on which LORs you are able to get....i would start by researching the requirements for schools you are applying to. (some specifically list separate nontrad. requirements) and then beyond that, I would call a few schools and ask them what they would want.......

If it is btw the LPN from work and the doctor from outside life, I would say the LPN just b/c it is more of a professional LOR where as the retired doc would be more of a simple character reference.(which only some schools specify as a need)....and the person doesnt HAVE to be someone tied in with medicine....is there anyone else that knows you well professionally??

rockydoc - thanks for the response.

I'll email the woman who provided the secondary application notification to see if she has advice for me as a non-trad. I think you're right though, as a non-trad they might be more amendable to one science/academic LOR and two professional LOR's. I'll check just to be sure. BSTS.

Regarding the third one, I see your point with the ret. physician. There is one other person I thought of, one with whom I've worked professionally. She worked as a director of outreach with a hospice organization we often use. She recently recommended me as her replacement when she moved to another company (I didn't take the spot because I knew I'd be applying to med school this year and didn't want to leave them searching for another replacement should I get accepted) so I know she thinks highly of me on a professional basis. Her degree isn't medical (I think she has a master's in social work). Do you think that matters?

Between the LPN and hospice director of outreach, I definitely have more face time with the LPN on a professional basis (we work in the same sub-section of the community), but wonder if an LOR from a hospice Dir. of Outreach would add another dimension to my secondary.

LPN - has seen me daily involved in resident affairs, emergency situations, administrative coordination of services and treatment.

DOO - has seen me involved in/around palliative care, end of life planning, etc.

Thoughts?