Non-trad seeking advice for 2022 cycle application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the phenol countdown

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--long time lurker, first time poster. I just would like some advice on whether my plan is sufficient and if there are any holes in my application that I can patch up prior to the application process.

Long story short:

I graduated with a degree in political science from a large state school in the midwest in 2016 and pursued a career in journalism where I covered the 2016 election and also wrote about sports. I graduated with a 3.1 GPA after not trying all that hard after a rough first year where I got a D in chemistry and a C in biology. I had a lot of interests at the time and frankly wasn't mature enough to handle the intensity of a pre med course load. Now, I'm back in school after quitting my job (after starting from square one in Spring 2020 to take EVERY pre-req over again as a full time student) fulfilling the pre med requirements, and I've managed to maintain a 3.9 post bacc GPA over 70+ credits of pre req work--my only grades less than an A being a B in physics I and a B in orgo I.

Following these credits my cGPA has risen to a 3.4 and my sGPA is about the same since I only had a few sGPA credits (I'm aware that the old grades can no longer be replaced and have factored them in). Hopefully my remaining courses will bring that up as well.

Here is my plan going forward--

Summer 2021:

Microbio
Physics 2
Biochem

Fall 2021:

Orgo 2 with lab
Genetics
Begin MCAT prep

Spring 2022:
MCAT
Apply to schools etc etc

Current ECs (all from Spring 2020 onward):

ER scribe- 250 hours and counting (goal is 1k)
Homeless shelter- 15 hours and counting (goal is 300+)
Museum interpreter (I basically talk to kids about the holocaust in an exhibit about Anne Frank)- 20 hours and counting (goal is 300+)
shadowing- none (have connections, goal is 80+)
research- none (in the process of applying)
Chem lab TA - 150 hours
Chem lecture TA - 150 hours

Is there anything else that I can be doing? I want to leave no stone unturned and want to make it clear that I am a different person than I was during undergrad and that medicine is absolutely, positively how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Thank you in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.