Non trad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm at the point of life when I need to make some big changes. I just started looking into optometry. Right now I have a well paying job with steady income. I graduated about 8 years ago and in order to go to OD school I will probably need to 're take all my pre reqs. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going back to school so I'm going to ask you numbers:
1. How much does optometrist make after school in NY?
2. After 5 years?
3. How much do you pay in school loans?
4. How much do you pay for health insurance?
5. Other mandatory expenses that I don't know about?

Right now the way I see it I will be making less then what I have now. But I don't have accurate info.

Members don't see this ad.

Since all of your questions have to do with money and not about the actual profession I'd stay away. You aren't going to be rich in NYC with a student loan debt of $250K while living in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

If you wanted to go into Optometry because you were fascinated by the field that would be a whole other story.

Reactions: 1 users
1. How much does optometrist make after school in NY?

I am on a mailing list for fill-in work around NYC. The typical wage posted is $550 for 8 hours. That works out to about 140/year with no benefits and you pay self-employment taxes.

2. After 5 years?
On the same email list the average pay was $400 2 years ago. At least the fill-in pay is increasing in NYC (for the list I’m on). It’s hard to predict what you will make after 5 years. Many doctors stay at there initial salary with raises that don’t keep pace with inflation.

3. How much do you pay in school loans?
You’ll need to do your own math. Estimate your debt and interest rate. Keep in mind, whatever that payment is you’ll need to earn more money and pay taxes on the income to make the payment. Or just do a post-tax budget.

If you need to borrow the whole bugdget for SUNY that’s 240k + increases over the 4 years + accrued interest + any other student debt you already have.

4. How much do you pay for health insurance?

$1680/mo for a good plan for a family. My plan is not based in NY and I think rates differ by state. NY is more expensive.

5. Other mandatory expenses that I don't know about?
Nothing significant. Maybe $2000/yr of misc. things like equipment, licensing fees, and continuing education.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user