Non-trad undergrad student and W.E

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abandonlaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
duh-lete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all... if this is the wrong place to post I apologize!

Okay so my story:

Currently 26 and am in undergrad... (Long story but that's another thing.) In a nutshell, I've worked for most of the time during high school until now. I've held positions in a variety of industries but mainly in legal with different responsibilities. I know that if I truly wanted to I could excel in law.To be honest even though the work may sound interesting to someone who isn't working in the field, it can be quite tedious and boring... And plus lawyers these days are a dime a dozen from especially from TTT schools. And yes I am aware of how imperative it is to get into a T10, T14 school in order to have favorable job placement..

I have been registered in school for a long time...a long time.. but because of legitimate family obligations and my financial circumstances it has interfered with my academic progress in the past. I am anticipating to transfer from my CC right now to a four year institution soon but am afraid with all the past W's (non punitive) and some failing grades that I had to take over that are on my transcript will reflect poorly if I apply to medical school...

My question is basically this... If I can show an upward trend with consistent grades will adcomms be willing to overlook my poor academic history? Or should I just try and apply to become a P.A/R.N? I really do not like being directed/controlled by others but is this what it has to come down to?

Someone with experience please advise! Ty!

Hey Abandon, Welcome to SDN!

First--Yes, a strong upward trend can definitely help you out. The doctor I do research with always told me he had a 1.8 his freshman year--haha so there's definitely hope!

Second--how many W's are we talking about? Could you provide your GPA breakdown? Are we talking sub-2.5?

Third--if it's your dream to become a Dr, don't let anything stop you. There are post-bac and special masters programs that can help you get in. Many success stories of people with those.

Looking forward to a better breakdown and best of luck!
Laughing Man