Is it worth applying? Non-trad, rough undergrad track record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppyseed008

Reaction score
edit: Realized that “is it worth” applying isn’t quite what I mean. I’m basically asking, do I have zero chances, or is there a shot? Should I mainly focus on DO schools over MD?

Hello! I will try to keep this as brief as I can. I about to complete nursing school. I want to make completely clear that I have immense respect for the field of nursing. This is a difficult question to discuss with my peers because I would never want to give the impression that I do not. Long story short is I have always wanted to go to medical school but I didn’t make the grades in undergrad. I chose to do an ABSN because I have worked as a CNA for several years and really enjoy it. If I were a nurse for the rest of my life, that would be okay. I love my patients. I do have the desire to go further, though. I have considered NP school for a very long time and I guess my reasoning is, if I’m going to go back to school, I would rather try to do what I’ve always wanted to do. I understand that this would take probably around 2-3 years of preparation and quite a bit of money. My first degree, a BA in biology, has a lot of red flags. If these are going to prevent me from having any chance whatsoever, please do let me know. It’s a little disappointing but I would much rather save the time and money. If it’s possible, even though it would be hard work and a big investment, I want to do it. I’m totally okay with going to a DO program.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cumulative, both undergrad and second bachelor’s - 3.4. BSN degree: 3.7. sGPA: 2.9 currently. If I take prereqs and make mostly A’s with a little wiggle room for B’s, it could be a 3.3-3.4.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: not taken
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): North Carolina
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UNC Chapel Hill, both undergrad and BSN
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): CNA 1500+ hours (haven’t calculated but at least there if not more). No clinical volunteer experience. CNA experience is in hospice and general med-surg/cardiac stepdown. Planning to work in cardiac stepdown and then ER or ICU as an RN, probably for 2+ years.
  7. Research experience and productivity: doing an honors thesis on nursing research focusing on public health interventions. No research in medicine, just nursing.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: None. If this is something I decide to do, I plan to shadow, hopefully both an MD and DO.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: making blankets for children in hospitals, working in a kitchen at a homeless shelter
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): in a nursing honors society, was in an Phi Theta Kappa at the community college I transferred from and president of that, student ambassador at that community college.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: will graduate my BSN program with at least honors, hopefully high or highest honors depending on how my research goes.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Red flags:
Long struggle with depression. Fortunately much better now. Started at a university in Summer 2017, made a C and an A, came home and went to community college. Took 5 W’s one semester for intensive outpatient treatment. Came back and did will, making a 3.8. Transferred, made a 3.1 at UNC. Covid was rough, around 3 W’s and 4 pass/fails. Will need to retake some of those as they were prereqs. Some prereqs I need to take I’ve just never taken as I had a BA.

Is my second degree and doing well in pre-reqs after enough to make up for this and give me a shot? Again, if the answer is no, that’s totally fine!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: