Non-Trad - What are my chances :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshinegirl0808

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Gearing up for the 2018-2019 PTCAS application cycle. I know there are MANY "what are my chances" threads, but I felt my situation was somewhat unique so I am posting it to get some feedback.

Stats:

Current employment: Self Employed. 8 years ago I started a business (not related to the medical field), that I still currently own and operate. It has grown into a highly successful small business with employees, etc.

Reason for PT: Despite building a profitable business that has provided well for my family, I do not feel fulfilled. I want to feel like I make a real difference in the lives of others. I have always been an active person (runner) and I have a keen interest in body mechanics, ergonomics, and injury prevention. I have been told I am a natural fit for the medical field, but I am especially drawn to rehab because I want to have ongoing relationships with my patients (not simply brief diagnostic interactions). Note, this career change is NOT financially motivated, as the earning potential in my business exceeds the earnings of a typical PT (excluding those operating their own practice). I am selling my business to pursue my dream to become a PT, which I believe demonstrates how committed I am to this path.

Undergrad: University of Iowa

Major: Bachelor of Science in Human Physiology

Cumulative GPA: 3.95

Pre-Req GPA: 4.00 (only have about 1 class left to complete)

GRE: 168 V, 156 Q, 5.0 AW

LOR: 2 professors, 1 PT (waived the right to receive copies)

Observation Hours: ~50 hours split between the following settings: inpatient, outpatient, SNF (all hours will be verified)

Extracurricular: This is the part of my application that may be lacking. As a non-trad student (married, employed full time) that commuted 1 hour (one-way) to campus, I did not have the time to join clubs, sports, or organizations. I do have lots of volunteer hours with my church (including learning ASL and spending 7 years of volunteering in the deaf community), I have also done some volunteer construction work for my church and for Habitat for Humanity.

Planning on applying to: University of Iowa, Des Moines University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee (I realize this not many programs, but these are the schools that work best for my spouse's employment).

What are my chances for admission? Any suggestions for improvements I can make in the next couple of months, please let me know. Starting to get nervous...!

Any advice is sincerely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are way above average. Your age shouldn’t be an issue. I would get some extra hours.

Your stats are way above average. Your age shouldn’t be an issue. I would get some extra hours.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know I am fortunate to have a strong GPA & GRE. I agree I could use more shadowing hours and plan to get a few more before the app cycle opens.

Any thoughts about my lack of ECs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response. Yes, I know I am fortunate to have a strong GPA & GRE. I agree I could use more shadowing hours and plan to get a few more before the app cycle opens.

Any thoughts about my lack of ECs?
I think you extracurricular activities aren’t as bad as you think. It shows you’ve been envolved with your community and that says a lot, especially in this field. Plus you are a non traditional student, so I’m sure they’ll understand you had to work to support your family. I am also a non traditional student. I was only able to list my work experience which was completely unrelated to the medical field.
I think you’ll be fine.

I think you extracurricular activities aren’t as bad as you think. It shows you’ve been envolved with your community and that says a lot, especially in this field. Plus you are a non traditional student, so I’m sure they’ll understand you had to work to support your family. I am also a non traditional student. I was only able to list my work experience which was completely unrelated to the medical field.
I think you’ll be fine.

Thank you. Very reassuring. Hoping it all works out!

Your GPA makes you a strong applicant. I applied this previous cycle with a high gpa and very few extracurriculars and I was accepted into some really good programs. Don’t worry about the ECs... Just try to get some additional shadowing hours in different settings and you should be good.

Your GPA makes you a strong applicant. I applied this previous cycle with a high gpa and very few extracurriculars and I was accepted into some really good programs. Don’t worry about the ECs... Just try to get some additional shadowing hours in different settings and you should be good.

So glad to hear this!! Thank you. I know the schools I am applying to are pretty competitive (particularly U of IA). Des Moines is my "safety" school, although I would be very pleased with an acceptance there.

I am just nervous because all of the admissions counselors I have spoken with say- it's not just about a 4.0, we want well rounded students! I am hoping my experience starting and running my own business will satisfy that aspect.

Your chances are great. I was a non-trad applicant this past season with stats maybe not *quite* as good as yours. I applied to 13 programs (albeit none of the ones you're considering), got rejected outright from one on the basis of my undergrad GPA (you will not have that problem; it turned out the program had a very high GPA cut-off for out of state applicants), got waitlisted at one (I turned down my waitlist spot), and was accepted or received an interview offer at all the others (I turned down a few interview offers, but got in everywhere I interviewed). I'm starting at my top choice in August. I did have more hours than you do, but the vast majority of them came from my job as an aide at an outpatient clinic. I only had about ~40 hours elsewhere. I think getting more observation hours would be a great place to focus your attention now, both because it will help your application and give you good stuff to talk about in your interviews, and because it will teach you more about PT and what the day-to-day of the career involves. Your extracurriculars are not a concern. Your work and life experience are more than adequate! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
2nd year student here. I had much lower stats than yourself but found that I got in everywhere I applied even if my stats were fare below the school average...From my experience, it's much easier to get into school being a non-trad that has had a successful career.

Your stats are pretty similar to mine, similar story as well.
I got interview offers everywhere I applied, but got into my 1st choice school early on and declined several interviews.

The ECs dont matter much for non trads - they are important to show leadership development and interpersonal communication skills, but owning your own business is a stronger bit for resume than a traditional student who was treasurer of their schools pre PT club (not a dig, just reality).

Having non-PT related volunteer hours is a good thing, and I would try to get 80 to 120 more hours (40 horus per setting in 2 or 3 more settings) just to really cement your candidacy, but you look solid.

Your stats are pretty similar to mine, similar story as well.
I got interview offers everywhere I applied, but got into my 1st choice school early on and declined several interviews.

The ECs dont matter much for non trads - they are important to show leadership development and interpersonal communication skills, but owning your own business is a stronger bit for resume than a traditional student who was treasurer of their schools pre PT club (not a dig, just reality).

Having non-PT related volunteer hours is a good thing, and I would try to get 80 to 120 more hours (40 horus per setting in 2 or 3 more settings) just to really cement your candidacy, but you look solid.

I appreciate the feedback. Yes, I am hopeful that owning my own business will serve the purpose of extracurriculars (i.e. showing leadership, initiative, etc.).

I plan to add a few more observation hours before the upcoming app cycle opens, but unfortunately I won't have time for much more than 15-20 hours. I have done the following settings: inpatient, outpatient, skilled nursing facility. I may get the chance to observe home health as well, but that is tentative at this point.

As for non-PT related volunteerism, I have the following:

- Bible Education Instructor- For over 20 years, I have volunteered on a monthly basis to teach others about the Bible and how it can improve their daily lives. I also learned and became fluent in American Sign Language and spent 7 years working specifically with the deaf community.

- Pet Therapy Volunteer - I trained my dog to become a certified therapy dog and conduct pet therapy visits at local nursing homes and hospitals (2016 to present).

- Construction Volunteer - I have been involved with construction projects to build, remodel, and repair places of worship across the state of Iowa (2005 – 2014)

- Cornbelt Running Club Volunteer - I provided support for various races (2008 – 2009)

I realize some of this is dated, but I would hope that it shows that I have always been active in volunteerism throughout my life.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have worked hard and sacrificed much to get to this point and getting an acceptance would be a dream come true!

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Gearing up for the 2018-2019 PTCAS application cycle. I know there are MANY "what are my chances" threads, but I felt my situation was somewhat unique so I am posting it to get some feedback.

Stats:

Current employment: Self Employed. 8 years ago I started a business (not related to the medical field), that I still currently own and operate. It has grown into a highly successful small business with employees, etc.

Reason for PT: Despite building a profitable business that has provided well for my family, I do not feel fulfilled. I want to feel like I make a real difference in the lives of others. I have always been an active person (runner) and I have a keen interest in body mechanics, ergonomics, and injury prevention. I have been told I am a natural fit for the medical field, but I am especially drawn to rehab because I want to have ongoing relationships with my patients (not simply brief diagnostic interactions). Note, this career change is NOT financially motivated, as the earning potential in my business exceeds the earnings of a typical PT (excluding those operating their own practice). I am selling my business to pursue my dream to become a PT, which I believe demonstrates how committed I am to this path.

Undergrad: University of Iowa

Major: Bachelor of Science in Human Physiology

Cumulative GPA: 3.95

Pre-Req GPA: 4.00 (only have about 1 class left to complete)

GRE: 168 V, 156 Q, 5.0 AW

LOR: 2 professors, 1 PT (waived the right to receive copies)

Observation Hours: ~50 hours split between the following settings: inpatient, outpatient, SNF (all hours will be verified)

Extracurricular: This is the part of my application that may be lacking. As a non-trad student (married, employed full time) that commuted 1 hour (one-way) to campus, I did not have the time to join clubs, sports, or organizations. I do have lots of volunteer hours with my church (including learning ASL and spending 7 years of volunteering in the deaf community), I have also done some volunteer construction work for my church and for Habitat for Humanity.

Planning on applying to: University of Iowa, Des Moines University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee (I realize this not many programs, but these are the schools that work best for my spouse's employment).

What are my chances for admission? Any suggestions for improvements I can make in the next couple of months, please let me know. Starting to get nervous...!

Any advice is sincerely appreciated!

You'll be fine. Same age, similar back story. I found that I interviewed really well, partially because my work experience and life experience made me stand apart from other candidates. I could speak to professionalism on a completely different level and I think they get that we just don't have the ECs as other candidates when we've been adulting for so long :)

I'd say your odds are great! I started my DPT program at 38 after spending ~10 years raising my kids and running a small business from home. I applied to 2 schools with similar stats (but get more hours!) and got into both. As for ECs, you've got tons of life experience that can be reframed as ECs. Good luck!

I'd say your odds are great! I started my DPT program at 38 after spending ~10 years raising my kids and running a small business from home. I applied to 2 schools with similar stats (but get more hours!) and got into both. As for ECs, you've got tons of life experience that can be reframed as ECs. Good luck!

Excellent points. Can I ask, how did you reframe your business experience as ECs? Did you include something about running your own business in the "Experiences" section of the PTCAS app?

Updating this thread for future readers:

I applied to two schools (U of Iowa and Des Moines) and was accepted to both!

Reactions: 2 users