Non-trad with interesting past (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraaj009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, reading through these threads has prompted me to ask about my own chances rather than jsut making millions of comparisons.

Numbers: Double major in Psych and Political science. over and science GPA both 3.5...I'm taking the mcat july 17--pretty anxious about it. I have about a year of hospice volunteer work and 6 months of volunteering with HIV/AIDS--I also this won "Volunteer of the Year" award...probably one of my proudest moments :oops: I don't know if this "counts" but I also have worked for a year with people who are called into Child Protective Services (CPS) but who were able to keep their children. I provided education/counseling on parenting, relationships, substance abuse, etc. It was a great job.

As far as my past goes, I went to rehab and was placed in their eating disorder track. The place I went specialized in cross addictions, so I was simulataneously treated for
alcohol/Rx/marijuana addiction (yes, I was addicted to weed...) I had to withdraw frmo the spring 2007 semester. I graduated Fall 2007.

Should I be open about this in my application? I feel like it's a huge part of who I am and why I want to pursue medicine...I'm a completely different person now, and I've learned so much. I'm very active in my recovery, and I haven't relapsed in anything at all. It has not been easy, lol...

I think it might just be that I assume everyone will see my recovery in a positive light, b/c I'm around recovering people so much. Idk if that's accurate though. I guess I feel like my recovery is evidence of many of the qualities that doctors need to have: maturity, perseverence, humility, patience, etc. Do you think they will see it that way?

any contructive feedback will be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

On your list of positive qualities that will make you a better doctor you forgot "empathy."

You are right that these are all qualities that adcomms would like to see evidence of. Besides overcoming your past problems, to me, the strongest evidence that your past experience has refined you into a person with important qualities is that you've taken on a job where you educate/mentor/lead people with similiar problems. Adcomms aren't looking for perfect people, as they aren't exactly thick on the ground, but rather people who recognize their problems, act responsibly, find solutions, and have strategies in place that will keep the problems from recurring. It is frosting on the cake that you are also helping others to move past their issues, as well. So yes, for you I think adcomms will see your recovery in a positive light.

I personally would avoid disclosing any substance abuse problems because the mental exhaustion and strain of medical school is well documented and could easily lead you back down that path towards relapse (on either account), depression, or worse. In my own application I struggled with what to disclose regarding my personal history and due to the stigma placed on individuals with a history of mental illness I'd advise you to not to give full or even partial disclosure of your mental health history. You stated that you work/provided education in substance abuse so show your motivation through that and not your initial problems that caused you to start working in substance abuse in the first place.

No, adcoms aren't looking for perfect people and you of all people should be aware of the looming threat of relapse no matter how long you've been clean (and I work in substance abuse too; I've seen patients clean for 10 years have a bad day and lose everything in a heartbeat). But you also don't know who is on those committees and you don't know what their own personal biases are - though I imagine them to not be too different than the general public in their negative perceptions of substance abuse and mental illness and recovery. For that reason it is better to be on the safe side and minimize your personal struggles as much as possible. I want to emphasize struggles, not your motivation for medicine - because you turned your problems around positively and this is reflected in your activities: which do provide you with plenty of experience to write about and shows that same motivation on their own.

Remember, this isn't treated in the same light as something like cancer and the threat of your success in medical school is very real. It must be handled accordingly. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response...I didn't include empathy with respect to my recovery b/c I felt it was independent of that...I know a lot of people who are recovering and they're pricks, lol...

Of course, it's not a bad thing to include, and there is a degree of empathy that I have now that i didn't have before.

And I think you're right that my job was indicative of my desire to help people with the same set of issues and overcome my personal stuff.

I also think that relapse is preventable. Relapse happens long before you engage in the behavior--it begins with a lack of self-care, not being active in your recovery, etc. It doesn't happen after a bad day-I've had plenty in recovery and I haven't relapsed. It's about taking care of yourself, and being active...It's always possible that I may relapse, but despite that, I'd say that I have as low a possibility as anyone due to all the "buffers" I have to keep me accountable.

Thanks for your responses!

On your list of positive qualities that will make you a better doctor you forgot "empathy."

You are right that these are all qualities that adcomms would like to see evidence of. Besides overcoming your past problems, to me, the strongest evidence that your past experience has refined you into a person with important qualities is that you've taken on a job where you educate/mentor/lead people with similiar problems. Adcomms aren't looking for perfect people, as they aren't exactly thick on the ground, but rather people who recognize their problems, act responsibly, find solutions, and have strategies in place that will keep the problems from recurring. It is frosting on the cake that you are also helping others to move past their issues, as well. So yes, for you I think adcomms will see your recovery in a positive light.

wow....telling them about substance abouse may not be good....keep that out of the essay...