Non-trad with low uGPA (last 80+ credits ~3.7) gGPA 3.8, MCAT 514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsleepy25

Reaction score
GPA
Undergrad cGPA: 3.32 (Freshman/Sophmore/Junior/Senior: 2.90/2.80/3.71/3.68)
Undergrad BMCP GPA: 3.33 (Freshman/Sophmore/Junior/Senior: 2.60/2.55/3.71/3.68)

grad GPA (Biomedical Engineering): 3.81

MCAT: 514 (128/127/130/129)
State: New York
Race: White
Sex: Male
SES Disadvantages: Yes, E01
First Generation: Yes
Undergrad: NY State School

Clinical Experience
1100 hours so far with EMT, expect 250 more though end of year. EMT in local community volunteer ambulance corp.

Research
5000+ hours of research. I did research throughout undergrad and also for my grad program (no thesis though). Most of my work was simple and none of it was towards publications. After grad school I worked for a strong biotech company outside of NYC for about 1.75 years as an immunology research associate where I was able to contribute to both 1) proprietary early-stage target research and 2) academic style research aimed towards understanding the genetic and immunological drivers of autoimmunity. I have two manuscripts in preparation from my work here, and while I'm unsure when they can get published (since corp timelines are set with alot of factors in mind) I am certain that they can get published in high impact journals (wont be first author but listed nonetheless).

Shadowing
30 hours with in OR through grad program
150 hours through local community hospital ER department (same ER department that we drop patients to as an EMT). LOR from head physician highlighted the benefit of being an EMT and shadowing at the same hospital to understand the chain of care.

Non-Clinical Volunteering
75 hours as COVID trial organizer through biotech company that needed research associates to prepare test kits for hospitals, and to test samples
100 hours as LGBTQ Center Volunteer at college
100 hours as iGEM outreach volunteer through local community events and highschools

Extracurricular Activities
Teaching Assistant - TA’ed for 4 classes, 3 of which were science related (didn't highlight this in my app though
Interned as bioengineer at several startups - Interned at a startup out of a clinical lab and
Cultural Dance Club - Really influential to me as a kid (one of my most meaningful experiences) my parent immigrated here from Eastern Europe and were very closely connected with their community in NYC. My first language was my parents one, and I was part of a folk-dance group that performed regionally, as well as internationally. Maintained strong connection to this group and community throughout life but especially in end of highschool and throughout college.
Club - Outreach chair of school chapter of Biomedical Engineering Society for grad year.

Work Experience
Research associate at Biotech Company: Mentioned earlier, 1.75 years of lab work and 2 pending manuscripts in progress right now (LOR called this out)
Equity Research in Financial Institution: Just when you thought my application couldn't get any more non-trad (LMAO) in early 2022 I accepted a position at a top financial research institute (think well known wall street corp) to do strategic research in the biotech and pharmaceutical sectors. Much of my work in combing through top pharmaceutical and biotech companies (Pfizer, Merck, Bristol, Lilly, Novartis, Amgen to name a few) and understanding their research progression, conducting analyses from either the science backing their pre-clinical or clinical trials, or working with KOLs in the field to understand their take on the upcoming changes to medicine. This is all in efforts to understand how the company will perform in the next 1-10 years and how investors can use this information to better position themselves, but it goes without saying that 75% of my day is interreacting with other PhDs or MDs. This is through and thought a strategic analysis role, with of course a financial aspect to it.

Relevant honors or awards
Deans list years mirrors the gpa climb (LOL).

Thank you so much to anyone who reads this. I am this cycle and I would like to know my chances at T100-T50 schools given my less than stellar GPA. I'm very confident in my ability to perform well in medical school given my last two years of undergrad taking very advanced engineering and science courses, as well as my graduate GPA of a similar difficulty. I think also taking 2-3 years after graduate school gave me valuable work experience that helped me explore different aspects of medicine (including EMT, biotech/pharma research and clinical work, as well as the business and financial side of healthcare and research.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE CAN YOU GUYS DO ME TWO FAVORS.
1) Tell me what I should highlight in my secondaries
2) a school list of MD schools that range from safeties to reaches.

Cheers guys, thank you very much.

(I dont know how to tag Goro on this thread but can someone help me w that)

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple