Non traditional-advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

life_is_goood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 years old with 4 years of accounting work experience. I have earned B.S. in accounting (GPA 3.1) and M.S. in business (GPA 3.36) from the state university.

I need to take all pre-req science classes and plan to go back to school full-time. I have recently relocated and there are 2 universities near my house. Both are 4 year college but one has better reputation and is located one hour away from my house. Another one is close to my house but has very low reputation.

Does the rank of the school matter when I take pre-req classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I am 26 years old with 4 years of accounting work experience. I have earned B.S. in accounting (GPA 3.1) and M.S. in business (GPA 3.36) from the state university.

I need to take all pre-req science classes and plan to go back to school full-time. I have recently relocated and there are 2 universities near my house. Both are 4 year college but one has better reputation and is located one hour away from my house. Another one is close to my house but has very low reputation.

Does the rank of the school matter when I take pre-req classes?

As long as you do well in those pre-reqs while tending one of those accredited 4 yr colleges, you should be fine. With your gpa being what it was in undergrad, you will definitely need to shoot for doing extremely well in the pre-reqs to give you a boost in gpa and to prove to the adcoms that you have matured and are even more dedicated to you career choice than you ever have. If you can get mostly A's, then what 4yr college you attend will not matter. I went to Podunk College in Bumpuck, USA and was able to get into all the dental cholos I applied to. You can too with as long as you buckle down and do well in the courses you need to take.

On a side note, at 26, you are only a baby non-trad student. Don't let your young age trip you up when taking courses with the young whipper snappers you will be sitting with in class. I have classmates who were born the same year I graduted from high school.

While I don't know you or your situation, I can say that I had a fantastic experience doing a Postbac program at Tufts University. I went to an excellent and well-known undergraduate institution, but the courses at Tufts were, by far, the very best courses I had ever taken. They utilize top faculty for their basic science courses, all of whom are brilliant and compassionate teachers.

I am even a bit older than you and also came from a career that was completely unrelated. Assuming that you do well on the basic sciences and the DATs, many school see this as a special asset.

I would definitely recommend looking into Post-baccalaureate Pre-Dental/Pre-Med/Pre-Health programs.