Non-traditional applicant info please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasgal1112

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a non-traditional applicant and wants some information.
She is a Texas resident, who is 26.
Graduated college with a 2.5 GPA in electrical eng.
Is now taking pre-med reqs and making all A's.
MCAT 32
Not a URM. But has an "interesting" life story.
She wants to know if it is possible to get into medical school in Texas.
Does anyone know anything about non-traditional students?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of non-traditional students out there and many get in. I can't help you specifically with Texas, however. There is a site dedicated to this stuff. Try <a href="http://www.oldpremeds.net" target="_blank">www.oldpremeds.net</a>

I am also 26 with an industrial engineering degree (with a specialization in health systems). I graduated with a slightly higher gpa (3.2) and slightly lower MCAT (29). I also had to go back to school to take pre-med reqs and got all A's post bac. So, the point of all this is that your friend is not alone!! I am currently on a waitlist at a school in GA so I can't offer words of encouragement about Texas schools. But I can contribute this: even a 3.2 gpa (which at my school was considered "honors") is considered low. The hard part is just getting considered for an interview. There are just so many applicants that most schools use gpa/mcat as a first round cutting method.

My suggestion for your friend is a "formal" post-bacc or masters program to improve the gpa.

I think your friend definitely has a shot at the Texas schools with the help of that great mcat score. The texas schools tend to be a little more strict cut-offs but I think that mcat will help her get by. Along with the A's in the premed courses.