Non Traditional Candidate Waiting for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mathmagic

Reaction score
Hi!
I am a non-traditional applicant waiting for an interview. 10+ years unrelated work experience, but went back to school while working to finish prereqs. I still have some remaining but will finish by Spring 2023. Thankfully, with a lot of hard work invested, I have good stats and applied in June.
Does it make sense to send a letter of interest in the school I'm most interested in attending? I know they have begun sending out interviews.
Thanks!
Mathmagic

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I am a non-traditional applicant waiting for an interview. 10+ years unrelated work experience, but went back to school while working to finish prereqs. I still have some remaining but will finish by Spring 2023. Thankfully, with a lot of hard work invested, I have good stats and applied in June.
Does it make sense to send a letter of interest in the school I'm most interested in attending? I know they have begun sending out interviews.
Thanks!
Mathmagic
I would probably wait until a little further into the cycle, most schools are just sending out the first round of interviews now. Good luck and I hope your hard work pays off!

Hi!
Thanks!
Mathmagic
trust the process...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your metrics/application don’t jump start an interview, do you really believe an LOI will be a thunderbolt?

Reactions: 3 users
If your metrics/application don’t jump start an interview, do you really believe an LOI will be a thunderbolt?
I think that they could think that I’m trying to get into more competitive schools and just applying there to play it safe…

A letter of intent would in some way show them that this is the preferred school.

I have had many applicants contact admissions offices before applying to address concerns they may get overlooked in the process. It sounds like you did not do this. LOIs don't have much impact unless a program says otherwise before applying.

That said, you can always try. Keep the letter very short but to the point. Don't expect anything, but if something happens, good for you. The worst thing that could happen is you don't hear from them or get denied.