Non traditional career paths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SportsMed09

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, just wondering if you all could enlighten me on what nontraditional work avenues are available for physiatrists after training? I'm happy with where I'm at, just curious about what exists out there.
 
Additionally, I'd like to know how conceivable it would be to initiate a new subspecialty within PM&R. It could take Rehab medicine and use an idea from different field to break into an emerging therapy for a particular condition.
 
Just check out the Phyzforum or many of the (now no longer in service) listserve messages. There are a lot of mavericks in our field. There are people convinced they have the answer to every rehab and MSK problem with their own weird treatments. There are those who apparently treat everyone with prolo, or now PRP. CAM and similar permeate our field, for better or worse.

There are some who appear to run naturopathy-type practices, others are closer to chiros.
 
Hey everyone, just wondering if you all could enlighten me on what nontraditional work avenues are available for physiatrists after training? I'm happy with where I'm at, just curious about what exists out there.


There is a lot of "non traditional" work out there for PM&R. The most obvious is the medical/legal realm. Work comp specifically, but also expert witness work for Auto/med-mal etc.

I got a call from a physiatrist from over 1500miles away from me asking me about a patient of mine with an anoxic BI. Apparently, the physiatrist is the retained expert witness for the plaintif's attorney, and testifies all over the country.