Non traditional cold feet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starrsgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really struggling right now and am wondering if this is normal. I'm a non traditional PT applicant. I left the military, had some kids and have taken a few years to do pre reqs and observation hours (and work). I was finally accepted in my second round applying but now I'm suddenly feeling really unsure about everything. I guess I'm intimidated by the debt load (estimated 80k) with a family as that burden will be shared by them. Although I'm working part time as a personal trainer, I could go back to work full time in another field and start at near the top end salary wise of what I will ever make as a PT. This field doesn't excite me but it's not terrible and it's very stable with room to advance. I know I would love PT....that's not the issue....but my practical side is screaming at me too. Is this just cold feet? Or are these valid concerns? Any thoughts for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I too feel your concern over the amount of debt I will take on as part of becoming a PT. My debt will be a little over 100k which is very scary. Fortunately, I don't have any kids of my own and my fiancé has no school loans. I know that this is the profession I want to do for the rest of my life so I keep telling myself it will be worth it!

Well, only you know what the right answer is... I think if you are going to commit to something/anything that requires a good bit of debt then you need to be 110% sure and really have a true passion for what it is that you are pursuing. I have said this countless times and some people may laugh, but making a truthful pros/cons list can be really helpful. That way, you can write it all down and really look at it. I was a non-trad too, although no kids, but there were times when I questioned my decision (even after I started school) but now that I'm done, I'm glad I went through with it all. :)