Non-traditional Applicant - How Can I Improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camb2334

Future DPT
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm planning to apply to DPT programs this cycle or next, depending on how these next few semesters pan out. I'm currently stressing about whether I even have a chance at all. If anyone has some feedback on what more can be improved, I would greatly appreciate it.

THE FACTS
Undergraduate School: University of California - Davis
Major: Sociology - Organizational Studies
Undergraduate GPA: 2.4 :vomit:

City College #1: DVC (prereqs)
GPA: 3.385

City College #2: CCSF (prereqs)
GPA: unknown - waiting on final grades

Graduate School: USSA (remote)
Degree: Master of Sports Science - Health and Fitness
GPA: 3.9

Overall
Prerequisite GPA (as of 12/20/2018): 3.011
Cumulative GPA (as of 12/20/2018): 3.148

Observation Hours
Accute Care/Geriatrics: 984 hours (paid position as Wellness Coach)
Orthopedic/Neuro: 102 hours
Othropedic/Other: 80 hours

THE PLAN

• Continue on at City College #2, finish prerequisite courses with the best grades I can muster.
  • Start sports medicine internship January 7th, get 450 hours of observation/work.
  • Treat the GRE as a class, study regularly. If necessary, invest in multiple practice tests and tutoring.

THE CONCERN
  1. My very terrible undergraduate GPA.
  2. My prerequisites are from a city college.
  3. I am unsure of whether my graduate level GPA will be considered.
  4. I don't have my GRE score yet so that's a huge unknown still - making it hard to be confident.

Thank you for taking the time to look this over, I would really appreciate any feedback. I have my heart set on PT, and will do whatever it takes to hand in a good application.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a chance? Absolutely! Just be strategic with the schools you apply to. Do your research and apply to programs that look at your GPA for the last 60 units you took, use your graduate level GPA instead of undergrad GPA, or do not look at your cumulative GPA at all. This way, your undergraduate GPA won't be an issue for your application. It's fine that your prerequisites are taken at a city college. Some programs prefer that prereqs are taken at a 4-year university (and their website will tell you if so), but from my experience, most programs don't care where you took them.

Also, many programs do holistic reviews of applications since they want well-rounded individuals. While your undergrad GPA might not have been great, you can make up for it by making all other aspects of your application strong. It's good that you've already completed a bunch of observation hours in diverse settings. Your plan looks reasonable too. Work hard to get A's in your remaining prereqs. And aim for a minimum of 150 on the verbal & quantitative sections and a 4 on the analytical writing section for the GRE. It's easily possible to reach that and do even better if you put in the time to study and do practice problems. Doing well on the GRE is another way to make your application stronger. Find people who will write your strong letters of rec. Also, are you involved in any extracurricular activities, volunteer work, etc.?

I graduated from UCD with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and a much lower prereq GPA, but I've retaken a bunch of classes to bring that up. I think the rest of my application was pretty strong, and I've been accepted into 3 programs so far. So it's definitely possible to get in! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there fellow Aggies!!

I also graduated UCD in nutrition sciences with a 2.58 cGPA.
Combined with other colleges that I’ve attended, my PTCAS cGPA is 3.15.
pGPA varied between 3.00 - 3.45 depending on the program.

GRE was pretty average, 308 with a 4.0 AW.

Despite all this, I managed to get into a program in Virginia.

I’d say it’s very possible to get in! Just like WushuPT said, just be strategic about where you apply. Definitely focus more on programs that place greater emphasis on prerequisite GPA and GRE.

Good luck!! Its a struggle, but with enough effort and time, you’ll get in eventually!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a chance? Absolutely! Just be strategic with the schools you apply to. Do your research and apply to programs that look at your GPA for the last 60 units you took, use your graduate level GPA instead of undergrad GPA, or do not look at your cumulative GPA at all. This way, your undergraduate GPA won't be an issue for your application. It's fine that your prerequisites are taken at a city college. Some programs prefer that prereqs are taken at a 4-year university (and their website will tell you if so), but from my experience, most programs don't care where you took them.

Also, many programs do holistic reviews of applications since they want well-rounded individuals. While your undergrad GPA might not have been great, you can make up for it by making all other aspects of your application strong. It's good that you've already completed a bunch of observation hours in diverse settings. Your plan looks reasonable too. Work hard to get A's in your remaining prereqs. And aim for a minimum of 150 on the verbal & quantitative sections and a 4 on the analytical writing section for the GRE. It's easily possible to reach that and do even better if you put in the time to study and do practice problems. Doing well on the GRE is another way to make your application stronger. Find people who will write your strong letters of rec. Also, are you involved in any extracurricular activities, volunteer work, etc.?

I graduated from UCD with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and a much lower prereq GPA, but I've retaken a bunch of classes to bring that up. I think the rest of my application was pretty strong, and I've been accepted into 3 programs so far. So it's definitely possible to get in! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.

Hey WushuPT! I was in the Davis wushu club! Was the head coach and treasurer a couple years ago. Were you a member too?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN