Non traditional decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfjmercado

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New here.

I am currently a full time IT Sys/Net admin for the past 11 years and a current PRN RN on a ICU step down progressive floor. I am also a licensed NREMT and FF/fire officer III with my township running medicals and 911 calls. I am certainly non-traditional, knowing I always wanted to be a practitioner of medicine as a child, and to help rural services and missions later in life. I was always told I was too incompetent by family, as I grew up in a mixed and foreign family, I took my hobby of IT and ran with it enjoying the research, testing, troubleshooting, etc. I am just missing the human aspect of relationship and feel I really belong in medicine. I am seeking to break into ER (1) and family medicine (2). I have been pushed to do the FNP tract of course. Of course I heard a ton of great things. But I also realize this would not fulfill me. My reason for not doing so is full practice restrictions, pay limitations, research or difficulties faced with advancement of medical and biotechnology and limitations associated otherwise. It would be easier however. I have already been offered acceptance since completing my BSN (Cum Laude). It was even more enticing to choose FNP given the fact that I am married 11 years to a wonderful wife although she is disabled for work reasons... (she incurs a disease that I found through research and my own s/s when we faced the fact that no other providers could diagnose), along with 5 children, and being the sole provider it is a challenge many do not face going for this profession. It would be great to see others in how they navigated similar contexts. Regardless, I am limited with all of my work and time restrictions to complete online classes in a non-traditional format...I have taken micro, patho, AP 1/2, intro bio, BIO I, intro chem, and have gotten all As...many were in class earlier in life, some as nursing pre-reqs... I have been working on my pre-requisites for nursing since 2011, finished my ASN and then my BSN in 2019. In total I have 2 certificates, 2 associates (ASN), and a bachelors (BSN). My science GPA is a 4.0.

As a prior veteran for the US army as an MP and Airborne Infantry having 8 years in already, I would love to take the HPSP scholarship and use this to quit work, and progress through schooling either as a MD or DO and serve as a military doctor. This is feasible, and my wife and family are on board.

I lack the pre-med requisites...so I am enrolled in Doane university to take these prerequisites, as I am out of financial aid and not able to fit in classes due to work in person as a extremely busy person - the hospital helps reimburse so I figured I would take the BIO II, CHEM I/II, Orgo I/II, and PHYS I/II this year in my own "Post-Bacc" al a carte completion method and try at the MCAT at the end of the year...so I figured on joining and seeing if anyone else has any ideas, suggestions, or what not for me. If they went through similar? I feel alone in this process. As a 38 year old as of January, its a wild ride. I am not concerned experience wise obviously, I have TECC, NREMT, NRP, PALS, ACLS, FFI/II, FEMA and USAR Certs, ex military, current Fire/EMS, and RN experience, but I worry about getting in to MD vs DO, and also dealing with non-traditional acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Also I have yet to build relations with doctors enough for letters of rec, etc. Any advise on this would be great too. MCAT study aides or methods for non traditional

You have great experience, and there will certainly be programs interested in your story. Do the best you can in your pre-requisites to ensure you have a science GPA that will be competitive for medical school. You do not need to take a full load if you work full time. If you are working PRN, two classes is probably doable, but only you know whether you'll have the time you need to focus and do as well as you can. Learning the content in those courses is also an important step in scoring well on the MCAT. Like you, I am an RN and I am in my mid-thirties. I am planning to apply next cycle, and wonder how schools will feel about my non-traditional experience. Since work will cover the expenses of taking those courses, I say go for it! Just start and see how things go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also I have yet to build relations with doctors enough for letters of rec, etc. Any advise on this would be great too. MCAT study aides or methods for non traditional
"Doctors" letters are not preferred at MD schools. A few ask for a clinical letter, but that can come from anyone who has supervised you. DO schools seem to love a DO letter, though.
Take a look here for study tips and MCAT ideas: Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the encouragement. I don't necessarily fear the experience...just the online pre-requisites - I heard these are frowned upon but then taken differently for non-traditional students however. I figured that this would be a good "off-year" to do these and finish my MCAT later this year. My science GPA is a 4.0, so at this time I am not worried...I will probably regret this statement for Orgo.

• Haha
I'm surprised you haven't gotten more feedback yet (it is still the holidays). I hope that I do not invoke the wrath of our experts but I will summon the mighty @Goro and @GoSpursGo and @Mr.Smile12 although there are many other wonderful experts here who may have some advice in addition to what gyngyn posted.

This is a particularly interesting thread so hopefully my pings will be forgiven 🙏

As for my own non-expert thoughts:

I can say though just off the bat, what is your cGPA, and your plan for taking labs? Also there is the "volunteering checkbox" that may need to be addressed, but being a veteran definitely puts you in a good position.

Last edited:
I'll let the moderators decide whether to move to the nontrad forum where there may be more people with advice. It is a lot to process, especially since I'm not sure the OP is still eligible for HPSP, but veteran status will be helpful. How about the new GI Bill, though maybe all benefits have been used up?

Support is important, so having a partner on disability is a real challenge if one goes to medical school.

I'll let the moderators decide whether to move to the nontrad forum where there may be more people with advice. It is a lot to process, especially since I'm not sure the OP is still eligible for HPSP, but veteran status will be helpful. How about the new GI Bill, though maybe all benefits have been used up?

He would need a waiver AFAIK, which are not necessarily hard to get. I have no idea if HPSP has been filled completely the last couple years, but I do know that the Army has fallen WAY short of their recruitment goals lately so.

Definitely would contact the AMEDD recruiter @op, (USUHS medical school is another option if you haven't heard of them, but I believe they have the 36 cutoff as well despite the main Army being 42). We also have a military forum here: Military Medicine

Last edited:
I agree, this is a remarkable story and I wish you the best.

I completely understand your rationale for pursuing online courses. However, the reason that schools are frequently hesitant to accept pre-reqs that were completed online is that they have experience which has shown that such students ultimately struggle with the transition to in-person medical school classes. Put plainly, I am worried that you will not be successful if all of your pre-reqs are in the online format. Ultimately you are going to need to decide if you are solely committed to pursuing medical school, or if your life and family circumstances will not allow you to pursue that goal at this time

I agree, this is a remarkable story and I wish you the best.

I completely understand your rationale for pursuing online courses. However, the reason that schools are frequently hesitant to accept pre-reqs that were completed online is that they have experience which has shown that such students ultimately struggle with the transition to in-person medical school classes. Put plainly, I am worried that you will not be successful if all of your pre-reqs are in the online format. Ultimately you are going to need to decide if you are solely committed to pursuing medical school, or if your life and family circumstances will not allow you to pursue that goal at this time
Thanks.

I have recently seen some forum posts discussing abut 30 or so medical schools (DO especially) that seem to be open to online courses. I know that the positives are that the courses do not denote "online" status and there is no difference in the course identifier. I guess all I can do is try. My plan B - is to pursue FNP/ENP licensure and still use the HPSP. I figured it would be worth trying...it would be almost impossible otherwise - as my wife being disabled and not working...well, let us just say that the HPSP is the only way forward regardless for the monthly stipend and the financial support.

He would need a waiver AFAIK, which are not necessarily hard to get. I have no idea if HPSP has been filled completely the last couple years, but I do know that the Army has fallen WAY short of their recruitment goals lately so.

Definitely would contact the AMEDD recruiter @op, (USUHS medical school is another option if you haven't heard of them, but I believe they have the 36 cutoff as well despite the main Army being 42). We also have a military forum here: Military Medicine
I am quite learned being a prior service member of 8 years. I have a AMEDD recruiter who seems to have no concerns granting a waiver even thought I am 38 now.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more feedback yet (it is still the holidays). I hope that I do not invoke the wrath of our experts but I will summon the mighty @Goro and @GoSpursGo and @Mr.Smile12 although there are many other wonderful experts here who may have some advice in addition to what gyngyn posted.

This is a particularly interesting thread so hopefully my pings will be forgiven 🙏

As for my own non-expert thoughts:

I can say though just off the bat, what is your cGPA, and your plan for taking labs? Also there is the "volunteering checkbox" that may need to be addressed, but being a veteran definitely puts you in a good position.
Thanks for spreading the love! You know what they always say - anything is possible in this world. Let me try testing that hypothesis!

Thanks for spreading the love! You know what they always say - anything is possible in this world. Let me try testing that hypothesis!

Maybe the propaganda was a bit too effective on me:

I will always place the mission first
I will never accept defeat
I will never quit
I will never leave a fallen comrade

I apply this to all things in life. Med school is no different.