Non-traditional engineer, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasabid

Super Duper
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here are some stats:

3.42 undergrad GPA, graduated cum laude from Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University

Science GPA: 3.75

MCAT Score: 32Q - 12Ps, 11V, 9Bio

Been working as a mechanical engineer for an aerospace company.

History of lymphoma (and I'm only 27...but 2 years in remission - woohoo!)

Submitted my AMCAS application August 9th - was this too late?

Applied for the following schools:

Harvard Medical School (why not?)
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University
Rush Medical College
Stanford University School of Medicine
The University of Miami School of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
New York University
Tufts University School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
University of Michigan Medical School
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine

I know there are are big name schools on here...am I aiming too high?

So what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, it sounds like you may have a very interesting story as a cancer survivor. This should be part of your app.

But a few things that need to be addressed in your app:

1. Any clinical experience? (this is critical. Lack of this will kill your application)
2. Why the switch from engineering to medicine? Can you bring anything special to medicine? (Really important for a non trad).
3. You applied to a lot of really reach schools (in terms of stats and number of applicants). Way too many. Also, what is your state of residency? Did you apply to all of your state schools?
4. Any research?

Also, we need more of a profile (state of residence, gender, ethnicity, disadvantaged) before we can get an idea of what your chances are for interview and acceptance.

Last edited:
Fair enough, not much information to go on, I guess.

Profile is fairly vanilla. White male, 27yo, from Phoenix, currently living in Texas, grew up in a middle-class suburb. I'm Jewish. Other than that, I don't have much to set me apart from most candidates in terms of background.

1.) After I got done with chemotherapy, I did two things: I began volunteering at the Teen Room at Texas Children's Hospital, and I became a phone volunteer for MD Anderson to talk to current cancer patients. I don't have much clinical experience, but I do have a lot of experience working as a "caregiver" as a camp counselor for several years, if that counts.

2.) I made the switch after the diagnosis. I would go into more details but I have it all written in my personal statement. I'm actually very proud of my statement, I think it's very well written. If you would like to review it, I'd be happy to send it.

3.) Texas works through the TMDSAS, with the exception of Baylor. So yes and no. I'm really not thrilled about that application, but if push comes to shove I'll do it. I also am aware that I've applied to several big name schools, but I've crunched some numbers (because I'm like that) and I think the odds come out in my favor: assuming pure probability and a generic application, then based on acceptance rates I have about a 70 percent chance of getting accepted to at least one school. And I feel like I have more to offer than just a generic application.

4.) No research. Not in medicine, anyway. But having said that, I feel like people are putting a LOT of weight on things that are strictly medicine related. If medical schools mean what they say about including people of diverse backgrounds and that, even though clinical experience helps, it's not entirely necessary, then I'm confident that I have enough experiences to make me a competitive candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You applied to a lot of state schools. A lot of them, like Maryland, Miami, etc. favor applicants in-state. I know some have 80 in state/20% out of state classes. I would save your money. I would add more private schools and your in state schools to increase your chances. Good Luck. :)

Truth be told, I'm just not the biggest fan of Texas anymore. I understand the consequences due to higher tuition costs, and my eligibility due to myself being a Texas resident. So like I said, if push comes to shove, I'll do it.

So I have too many top tier schools in that list? Then what are some "safe" choices?

Truth be told, I'm just not the biggest fan of Texas anymore. I understand the consequences due to higher tuition costs, and my eligibility due to myself being a Texas resident. So like I said, if push comes to shove, I'll do it.

So I have too many top tier schools in that list? Then what are some "safe" choices?

There are no safety schools in this process.

Your best chance at getting into medical school as it stands right now will be at a Texas medical school. Your MCAT makes you a competitive candidate, academically speaking, at those schools.

All of those schools you listed are VERY competitive for you for one reason or another (either on stats, residency, unwritten research requirements, or sheer volume of applicants). You would really have to improve your application to have a shot at any of those schools.

Overall, my suggestion would be to beef up your clinical experience, volunteer work, et cetera. You need to be able to confidently express to the adcom in your app and in your interviews why you want to be a doctor and how you have tested this interest. Medical training is a very long process. You need to make sure that you can convince the adcom that you are absolutly committed to medicine.

I am happy to read over your PS. PM it to me if you want me to look at it.

Best of luck to you.