Non-Traditional Just Getting Started

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishNet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm here to get a little feedback. I just turned 28 years old, and I recently got the idea that I might want to make a career change from software engineering to medicine. Right now, I'm just investigating things, to try to figure out if this is something that I want to do and if this is something that I can succeed at.

My college career was a little uneven. I started off slow, but started turning things around my junior year, when my study habits improved a little. Unfortunately, I took most of my math and science classes as a freshman and sophomore, and didn't do too well. Here's my GPA breakdown (calculated using Johnny Eguizabal's AMCAS GPA calculator):

Freshman: 2.8
Sophomore: 2.6
Junior: 3.5
Senior: 3.9

Overall GPA: 3.29
Overall BCPM GPA: 2.58 (includes 6 credits of Statistics and Probability, I also have 2 pass grades in chem lab I didn't know how to enter)

I realize I'm going to have to take or retake all of the core science classes as a post-bac (year each of chem, bio, organic chem, and physics). Assuming I get a 4.0 in all of these, and 4-credit semesters, my best-case GPA estimate is:

Best-case overall: 3.43
Best-case overall BCPM: 3.36

I've just started volunteering in an ER, and I have a half-day shadow setup for this Friday with a family friend.

So, what do you guys think? What are my chances? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.