Non-Traditional MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMMB22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...
Been out of undergrad for a long time.
Really, really, really rusty...
Can only do an online course...
Need the whip cracked over my head..
need to be able to study from a few different locations..
need to be taught the info as if I were an interpretive dance major..

TPR or Kaplan online?
Any specifics?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely suggest Kaplan if you have the money - its great in keeping you on track.. a very systematic approach , i like them

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone direct me to a board post with a Kaplan V. TPR Online discussion?

There's not really much discussion to be had here. Go for Kaplan.

Here's why:

A lecture-style group course (or even worse, a pre-recorded lecture course) is going to be largely ineffective. I'm not gonna spend time here discussing why - if you're interested there's a century of education literature amply demonstrating that the lecture is a failed method for teaching. Google around if you're curious.

So if you get that lecture courses - the actual time spent sitting in a classroom - is a waste of time, but you're still hellbent on going with a company that does group courses, the question devolves to this: which company is going to offer me the most resources in addition to the lecture time?

Here, there's no contest. Kaplan blows everyone else out of the water. They have so much stuff, in such copious variety, that they can almost justify their tuition price just on the basis of their online syllabus. Kaplan has so much content available that they routinely give away entire books of MCAT prep as a marketing freebie at their table at events.

Having said all that, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention in passing that if you want real help, the key is one-on-one tutoring. Tutoring always gets better results than lectures.

Finally, and this is really important: have you spoken with people in the admissions office at med schools yet? Make sure that you're on the track they want for non-trads? Depending on the program, they'll have rules about how current your coursework needs to be.

I second getting tutoring, but use the Berkeley Review books and Sn2ed's schedule if you have the discipline and time. I got a 38 on the MCAT this past summer, 10 years after taking any science courses, by self-studying.