Non-Traditional Mechanical Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gutripper

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a non-traditional Mechancal Engineer Graduate from the University of Detroit Mercy (3.5+ GPA) that's Switching into Dentistry.

Here is What my Pre-Dent Clasess look like:

Community College (2 Years, Classes ~7-8 Years Ago):
General Chemistry 1 & 2 (4.0 and 3.7)
Physics 1 & 2 (4.0 and 3.7)
Wayne State(6 Years Ago):
Socialology (3.0)
Physiology (2.7)
Intro to Biology (4.0)
Biology 1 (23)
At this Point, my GPA was so low that I decided to switch Universities. I was working hard, knew the material well, but was struggling so I switched to the University of Detroit Mercy, and ended up getting the Full-Tuition Jesuit Founders Scholarship
University of Detroit Mercy (5-2 Years Ago)
Orgo 1 (2.7), Orgo 1 Lab (2.3), Bio 2 (3.3)
At this Point, decided to stick with Engineering Classes because Pre-Dent wasn't working out too well.
Took 4 Years of Hard Engineering Classes and they really taught me how to think! Also threw in the Bio 2 Lab before I left which was very difficult and got a 3.3 in it.
Went back to Community College because they offered night classes while I was working and got Microbiology (4.0), Biochemistry (4.0), Orgo 2 @ Eastern University (4.0) Orgo 1 AND 2 Lab Combined (3.3), Biology 1 Retake (4.0)

Overall University of Detroit Mercy GPA: 3.51
Overall Schoolcraft Community College GPA :3.9 ish
At Eastern Got a 4.0 in Orgo 2, 3.3 in that Orgo 1 and 2 Lab
At Wayne State for a Year: The Bad Year, 2.7 in Biology 1 (before 4.0 retake), 3.0 in Socialology, 2.7 in Physiology

I called up Detroit Mercy and they told me I needed to retake the classes 5 Years or later so Appling to other Schools instead, but first I need to:

1) Shadow a Dentist, does anyone know how hard it is with COVID right now? Thinking of just calling up everywhere tomorrow until I get an acceptance.

2) Take the DAT Exam. I plan to take it 2 months from now, want to be fully prepared first. Went over the Organic Chemsitry Odyssey w/ masterorganicchemistry.com, DAT Bio Academy on Bootcamp, Dynamite Bio Notes, Feralis Notes, Chads Videos (Chem only, already learned O-Chem well), Gen Chem Destroyer, Math Destroyer (With Orgoman YT Videos), DAT Destroyer, Reading Harry Potter Books for fun and Scientific Articles, and getting ready for DAT Booster for the PAT, Reading Multiple Choice, and extra Practice.

3) Have to get Recommendations, so going to contact my Professors.

4) Believe I have to go back to the Universities to get my Transcripts ported to a website called ada.org.

Then Finally, the Interview.

Anything else I need to do or is that about it? Only thing worrisome is Schools seeing some of the Pre-Reqs taken Freshmen Year, but did well in them and don't want to retake them because working full time.

Thanks for the Help!

Thank you for the Info 0Mik3cho! (avoiding a reply so it doesn't bump the thread)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Shadow a Dentist, does anyone know how hard it is with COVID right now? Thinking of just calling up everywhere tomorrow until I get an acceptance.
Yep. Call around. Eventually someone will leet you shadow.
2) Take the DAT Exam. I plan to take it 2 months from now, want to be fully prepared first. Went over the Organic Chemsitry Odyssey w/ masterorganicchemistry.com, DAT Bio Academy on Bootcamp, Dynamite Bio Notes, Feralis Notes, Chads Videos (Chem only, already learned O-Chem well), Gen Chem Destroyer, Math Destroyer (With Orgoman YT Videos), DAT Destroyer, Reading Harry Potter Books for fun and Scientific Articles, and getting ready for DAT Booster for the PAT, Reading Multiple Choice, and extra Practice.
What are you using for your full length practice exams? They are important to get used to the pace you need to work at. I'd recommend that you use the DAT Booster full lengths rather than taking each exam in isolation.
4) Believe I have to go back to the Universities to get my Transcripts ported to a website called ada.org.
When you apply via AADSAS, you will have your schools send transcripts to AADSAS to verify the grades you enter into the application. You can only do that once the application is open and you have an AADSAS ID with which they can associate the transcripts. I recommend that you also have the schools send you a paper copy of the transcripts. It will help for when you start entering them into AADSAS since you have transcripts from 4 places and it can be easy to mix something up.