1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-traditional pharmD program discontiuned at some school

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by OHPharm, Jun 3, 2008.

1. OHPharm

2+ Year Member

Just found out that at least couple of schools at Ohio discontinued their non-traditional PharmD program. Tried to call the schools but given no reason. Anyone have some insight to this? Demand low or any other reasons?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Moving to the main pharmacy forum for best response.

4. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    UK did the same thing. I don't know the reason, but I suspect that it is demand for it.

5. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I suspect demand also. I'd assume most of the BSPharms that wanted PharmDs would have gotten them by now.

6. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    yup, I believe UNM has phased theirs out as well.

It's been in place for over 10 years - I guess there's some "you snooze, you lose" going on there.

7. genesis09

genesis09 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    UIC d/c its nontrad program in 2004 because of declining enrollment. There were only 2 students in the program.

8. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Midwestern got rid of theirs too. Enrollment was declining because most of those that wanted the PharmD have already gotten it.

9. OHPharm

2+ Year Member

I wonder for someone who does not have Pharm D title and new to this field, it will be hard to get into hospital system?

10. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Most hospitals hire pharmacists regardless of their title. In terms of residencies, I believe most programs do prefer a PharmD.

Concerning "new" to this field, the BS degree was discontinued a while ago with PharmD being the standard now. This means that there shouldnt be any new pharmacists coming in with a bachelor degree. . . if that is what you mean.

11. OHPharm

2+ Year Member

For FPGEE student, new to the us market but with BS degree, now have to compete with Pharm D students, does not necessary mean Pharm D students are more knowledgeable but the title might make the difference.

I am doing internship at hospital, but not sure if that will be a great help...now with discontinuation of non-traditional PharmD at most of the schools, seeking advice on what to do to be more competitive...

12. Pharmavixen

Pharmavixen foxy pharmacist
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This is interesting--are there lots of pharmacists in the US who still practice with the Bsc? After 21 years as a pharmacist, I'm going back to school in Sept to get a pharmD. One of my reasons for doing this is to avoid ever working in retail again, especially now that I'm on the other side of 40 and still have 20+ years in the workforce ahead of me. I can't see working gruelling 10 to 12 hour shifts on my feet in high-volume stores when I'm fifty the way I did when I was 25.

We still have entry-level Bsc here (province of Ontario) but they're seriously talking about entry-level pharmD in the next few years. And our health minister recently talked about increasing the efficiency of the health care system by allowing pharmacists to do some prescribing, and I want to be ready for this.

Any thoughts on the differences between entry-level pharmD programs and graduate ones like the one I'll be doing?

13. OHPharm

2+ Year Member

I am trying to find that out also. Reading and doing some project will help to get all the knowledge needed as a pharmD or even more, but title is kind of important at hospital I figure...