Non-traditional pharmD program discontiuned at some school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHPharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out that at least couple of schools at Ohio discontinued their non-traditional PharmD program. Tried to call the schools but given no reason. Anyone have some insight to this? Demand low or any other reasons?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UK did the same thing. I don't know the reason, but I suspect that it is demand for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect demand also. I'd assume most of the BSPharms that wanted PharmDs would have gotten them by now.

yup, I believe UNM has phased theirs out as well.

It's been in place for over 10 years - I guess there's some "you snooze, you lose" going on there.

UIC d/c its nontrad program in 2004 because of declining enrollment. There were only 2 students in the program.

Midwestern got rid of theirs too. Enrollment was declining because most of those that wanted the PharmD have already gotten it.

I wonder for someone who does not have Pharm D title and new to this field, it will be hard to get into hospital system?

I wonder for someone who does not have Pharm D title and new to this field, it will be hard to get into hospital system?

Most hospitals hire pharmacists regardless of their title. In terms of residencies, I believe most programs do prefer a PharmD.

Concerning "new" to this field, the BS degree was discontinued a while ago with PharmD being the standard now. This means that there shouldnt be any new pharmacists coming in with a bachelor degree. . . if that is what you mean.

For FPGEE student, new to the us market but with BS degree, now have to compete with Pharm D students, does not necessary mean Pharm D students are more knowledgeable but the title might make the difference.

I am doing internship at hospital, but not sure if that will be a great help...now with discontinuation of non-traditional PharmD at most of the schools, seeking advice on what to do to be more competitive...

Most hospitals hire pharmacists regardless of their title. In terms of residencies, I believe most programs do prefer a PharmD.

Concerning "new" to this field, the BS degree was discontinued a while ago with PharmD being the standard now. This means that there shouldnt be any new pharmacists coming in with a bachelor degree. . . if that is what you mean.

This is interesting--are there lots of pharmacists in the US who still practice with the Bsc? After 21 years as a pharmacist, I'm going back to school in Sept to get a pharmD. One of my reasons for doing this is to avoid ever working in retail again, especially now that I'm on the other side of 40 and still have 20+ years in the workforce ahead of me. I can't see working gruelling 10 to 12 hour shifts on my feet in high-volume stores when I'm fifty the way I did when I was 25.

We still have entry-level Bsc here (province of Ontario) but they're seriously talking about entry-level pharmD in the next few years. And our health minister recently talked about increasing the efficiency of the health care system by allowing pharmacists to do some prescribing, and I want to be ready for this.

Any thoughts on the differences between entry-level pharmD programs and graduate ones like the one I'll be doing?

I am trying to find that out also. Reading and doing some project will help to get all the knowledge needed as a pharmD or even more, but title is kind of important at hospital I figure...