Non-traditional Post-Bacc to Gain academic credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orangeblue

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I majored in biomed- engineering at a great highly ranked private university and have a low GPA total of around 3.0-3.1.

I have been advised to take 30 credits of hard sciences (ie. biology classes, biochem, genetics) to show that I have the intelligence and skills to handle the coursework to the medical admissions committee.


I am wondering where to do these ~30 credits of bio hard science classes.It's important to take it in a academically rigorous program. My options:


1. Petition/Hassle to get private university to allow me to give me an additional semester based on circumstances (medical note ( i have a disability), and class that need to be taken). This will also give me a chance to take some hard science/bio classes at my private "prestigious" university.


2. Petition Hassle to have this "prestigious" private university allow me to take another year/2 semester as part of a double degree program but chances are slim.


3. Take it University of Houston since I am Texas resident and would have a better chance at Texas medical school. It's also inexpensive relatively, and may qualify for FAFSA Pell Grant(??), although they technically don't award them for second bachelor's.


4. Take out a hefty loan and take it a prestigious university i.e current private university in an expensive city or at Rice in Houston, Texas where there's also a strong medical district/center.

Would appreciate comments,advice from anyone especially about loans for education/tuition and living.

Best regards,
orangeblue
 
cheapest route and probably best option if you are able to admit with ease would be the 3rd option. if you already have a degree you won't get the pell grant. at least I didn't for my second degree. but you should be able to qualify for loans on second degree. I don't see going to a prestigious university to fulfill requirements as a necessity unless you're going to get a second degree from it. then its up to you whether you want the headache or not. go where you get the most out of your experience with the least amount of hassle. I think the 3rd option would do that for me.

hope that helps.
 
How does FAFSA know that you already have a degree? Maybe you never got the degree in your first institution?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should definitely qualify for loans as a "second degree student" which is basically the same as a "fifth year" and most likely for up to 12,500 a year. If you are attending a public university this should go pretty far for you.

It doesn't matter where you attend classes in terms of how your grades will be viewed by admissions committees, as long as it's not a 2 year junior/community college. Do what works best for you financially and is practical in terms of your living situation. I agree with dude above- choice 3 all the way...

... and nail those classes... work harder than you ever have.
 
Thanks guys for a response. I was having a general life-sadness crises (since this semester my final in college has 6 weeks left and I am doing bad / need to catch up on 2 engineering claseses-- so I really appreciate your response. This is no time to give up on my dreams.

I think what looks most likely is that I will try to petition current "private" university for a 9th semester (with financial aid). The reason being is this courses I am taking now is kind of killing me - the course load is too much and it would be good to take it in the 9th semester if possible along with some bio-classes. It's all contingent upon me getting the petition approved but worth a shot
 
Maybe I can say no, if i haven't met all the requirements for a degree at first school?

if you get your degree...put "yes." you can get financial aid as a second degree seeking student (whether you finish that or not is up to you...as long as you're just doing so to take extra classes and aren't officially enrolled in an SMP, post-bac premed, etc.) or as post-bac for up to 1 year (I think).

if you do not finish your degree, meaning on your official transcript it doesn't say "blah blah blah degree awarded Spring 2011" then you will still be a first degree seeking student and will get financial aid as such.

if you graduate, they will find out, the school has to report this info. hope that helps.
 
Thanks.

What kind of financial aid do I get a 2nd degree seeking student? I plan to enroll in a second degree program even if my plan is to take those 30 credits and get the fudge out!

Secondly, I wonder about living expenses: do I get a loan for that? ie. 10k or 15k a year for living expense? Or not?

In a tough spot,
orangeblue
 
In general, you would recommend that I finish my first degree. If I finish the degree, it will say so on the transcript, is that correct?

Otherwise, it looks VERY fishy/BAD/discredible on med school admissions committee that i couldn't finish a degree..?
 
Thank you so much, golfinn(sp?) for your insight. I really had not thought of that at all.


Here's the catch:

I am thinking of dropping one required class this semester. Aside from this class, I would have completed all courses for my bioengineering major.

The good part about this approach is that when I apply to my local public university, i will still qualify as a first-degree student and can get financial aid etc / Federal grant for this coursework, so essentially saving 8K+ish in federal / subsidized loans.

I will then also take this one "required" class at my public university to fulfil the major requirement.

Med schools also see "trends" and look the transcripts too, so I wonder how much of a different it would make, esp if there's really no "lag" time between graduation and post-bacc...

a
 
It doesn't matter where you attend classes in terms of how your grades will be viewed by admissions committees, as long as it's not a 2 year junior/community college.

... and nail those classes... work harder than you ever have.

Can you tell me a bit more about WHY medical school do not care if it University of Houston VS. University OF Texas at Austin or a "elite undergrad like my undergrad school" ? I'll be taking biochem,genetics, the whole gamete so I guess those classes are more or less standard and can't be that much different in terms of content? Also b.c they are 70,000 premeds applying every years, they are bound to be some at UH and it will be competitive so that' salso why ad coms don't care?

A