Non traditional resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaBusqueda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this really dovetails on my last post.
So, as I contemplate making a switch from EM to pathology there are a number of variables and I must tackle these each as i progress.
One I would like to bring to discussion is the eventual application process/ERAS/etc.
I can see this being a huge obstacle from the fact that I have no "path rotation" or elective to show! I have some real world experience in the field (not a pathologist, but a histo tech) and I truly feel I have a good handle on the day-to-day workings in the field.
Even if I am able to articulate the "experience" to a point that would be accepted, there comes the "letters of rec." Where I work is both academic and community, but no academic pathology in town at all.
How would one recommend getting these?
In particular, is there anyone out there who has come to pathology from another specialty and needed to get 2 letters of rec as an attending??
I suppose I could/should at least find a pathologist in town to visit enough times that he/sh would feel comfortable writing one (a la pre-med). I can see that these may not carry a lot of weight.

Anyone know of programs that allow any observership-type experiences for physicians and if that would help?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't necessarily need 3 letters if you are going outside the match, but of course it doesn't hurt to have them either. But I do think you need to have some contact with a pathologist (either academic or private) who can put in a good word for you and let people know you are serious.