Non-Traditional Student, Evaluate My Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KanTuck22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my first attempt at getting into pharmacy school and wasn't sure what my application looked like in comparison to others applying. I am a non-traditional student in my early 30s.

Undergrad GPA = 3.2
Undergrad Science=3.2
Graduated with B.S. in Agricultural Science, Minored in Biology

Completed Master of Science in Animal Agriculture
Graduate GPA= 3.8
Graduate Science GPA = 3.9
Biochemistry GPA=3.5 with 6 hours taken

PCAT Score = 79 composite

I have worked in the veterinary pharmaceutical industry for roughly 4 years.......

IMO, those are impressive stats. Your PharmCAS GPA might be a bit lowered if you have retaken courses that were D's and F for grades because PharmCAS calculate all grades. It could go down to 2.8,but that still wouldn't harm you too much if you you have higher trend in grades or you took more advance classes in the subject you got Cs in and did better. This seems so with biochemistry. Your graduate degree and gpa should give you an edge. Your bachelor degree WILL give you an edge.

Your work experience is impressive.
They say a 70 PCAT makes you competitive, and yours a 79 so that's that.

All in all, if you have a sincere personal statement, i'd say it's a guaranteed acceptance.

If you let them know on your PS why you really want to do pharmacy and what your motivation are truthfully, then that would look good. Maybe talk about whether you are more interested in the applied or research aspect of pharmacy. Talk about why you would want to work in industry, clinical, or retail maybe. Other truthful motivation won't harm, trust your instinct.

What kind of man are you? a research man or an applied man? --- and why not med school?

The PS is important, it might kill you if you make it seems like you're not sure really why you want to be a pharmacist.

Last edited:
Yea, the user above pretty much summed it all up really well!
You are looking for comparisons so here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.48.
Post-bachelor undergrad GPA: 4.0.
Cum. GPA: 3.55.
Science GPA: 3.03.
Bach. of Arts in both Psychology and Anthropology.
Currently a post bach undergrad major in Biology.

PCAT: 58.

And I have received 3 interviews out of 4 schools I've applied to.

So, you can now compare your stats w/mine. In my opinion, however, I think you look like a great and promising candidate and if you write a great PS, as above user stated, and have a great interview, I see no reason why you wouldn't get accepted to at least 1 school. (Though this depends on factors such as how well you interview, how many schools you apply to, etc). Based prely on stats though, I think you are a strong candidate for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, the user above pretty much summed it all up really well!
You are looking for comparisons so here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.48.
Post-bachelor undergrad GPA: 4.0.
Cum. GPA: 3.55.
Science GPA: 3.03.
Bach. of Arts in both Psychology and Anthropology.
Currently a post bach undergrad major in Biology.

PCAT: 58.

And I have received 3 interviews out of 4 schools I've applied to.

So, you can now compare your stats w/mine. In my opinion, however, I think you look like a great and promising candidate and if you write a great PS, as above user stated, and have a great interview, I see no reason why you wouldn't get accepted to at least 1 school. (Though this depends on factors such as how well you interview, how many schools you apply to, etc). Based prely on stats though, I think you are a strong candidate for sure.

Hey, have you recieved any post-interview news yet? any rejection or acceptance? how long did it take for PharmCAS to caculate ur GPA?

Hey, have you recieved any post-interview news yet? any rejection or acceptance? how long did it take for PharmCAS to caculate ur GPA?

Hey, i haven't received news yet. My first interview was 2 weeks ago, so i should be hearing from them soon if I got in. The other was 1 week ago and I will be finding out in a few days by email. :xf:

Pharmcas took about 3 weeks to calculate my GPA after the academic update.

Just as an update, I was accepted to both schools I interviewed for. :)

Just as an update, I was accepted to both schools I interviewed for. :)

Gdamn son! Congrats-theefking-tulation!!! Grab yo mum, grab yo dad, grab yo friends, go out and blow a night on STEAK to CELEBRATE! WOOOOOO!!!

Gdamn son! Congrats-theefking-tulation!!! Grab yo mum, grab yo dad, grab yo friends, go out and blow a night on STEAK to CELEBRATE! WOOOOOO!!!

LOL!! Yea this is me right now: :soexcited: :hardy:

The PCAT doesn't help but everything else screams "I could be a competant pharmacist."

If you dont get into the school that you prefer it is because of your PCAT. I can confidently say tht you will get into a school though.

The PCAT doesn't help but everything else screams "I could be a competant pharmacist."

If you dont get into the school that you prefer it is because of your PCAT. I can confidently say tht you will get into a school though.

Wow really?! I think his PCAT is fantastic! Most schools say they want a 50 minimum and that 60 and above is considered competitive. He is almost at 80! Damn, I wish my score was as close to his.