Non traditional student seeking info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blair Book

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there alot of non-traditional students who have pursed a DPM? I graduated with a B.A. in Liberal Arts, then spent five years as a Search and Rescue Medical Technician in the Navy. I have thought about becoming a D.O. but I have been looking up info on Podiatry, and it has sparked an interest.

My GPA was not the greatest (below 3.0), but I am going to start taking classes this winter at a local college for all my pre-reqs. I am also working full time, so I can only manage about a class a quarter. When the time comes to apply, will this look bad? By that I mean only being able to manage one class because of other obligations?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Blair Book said:
Are there alot of non-traditional students who have pursed a DPM? QUOTE]

There certainly are. I spent 10 years active duty, enlisted Army. Medic (91A, then 91B) and continued as an LPN (91C). Left to complete my undergrad degree. Stayed with the Reserves as 91C, then commissioned as 70B. Now back on active duty in residency (67G). The guy I share an office with is Navy.

In my class we did have others with prior military service. We also had some who had been working in the civilian world for similar amounts of time.

Having had previous experience can enhance your application. If it's something you are interested in doing, there is no reason not to just because you are a little older or delayed your education.

Good deal, I take it there are podiatrists in the military? Where I was stationed we did not have any at all.