Any non surgical podiatry residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

footshazam

Reaction score
I’m a 3rd year student and I was just asking for reassurance to make sure I have the correct information. There are no non surgical residency programs that we can attend correct?

I’m having second thoughts about continuing school because I don’t think I want to trudge my way through a surgical residency

Members don't see this ad.

There are programs that are advertised as surgical- but in reality you will barely do any surgery and will not be proficient to do them in real life after you graduate- even if technically on paper, they meet the advertising requirements for you to do surgery upon completion of residency.

Reactions: 1 users
There are programs that are advertised as surgical- but in reality you will barely do any surgery and will not be proficient to do them in real life after you graduate- even if technically on paper, they meet the advertising requirements for you to do surgery upon completion of residency.
Wow I didn’t know that. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So many negative things that I am finally seeing since starting 3rd year. I’m ready to leave.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask yourself how much do you really want podiatry to work out for you. Only then can you decide whether to throw in the towel and leave. You are in your 3rd year of schooling. If this is how you feel about podiatry now and what's coming ahead, I think it's best to reassess and make a decision before it's too late. Spare your misery and save the tuition fees, living expenses, debt and interests accruing while in school and in residency. You are probably starting clinics in your third year or maybe already have during second year, but 4th year you'll be going to clerkships/externships. That's when you get a hint of what residency looks like and all the misery associated with it. Ask yourself "is this what I want to do and should I go forward?" You just passed your boards Part 1 and will have to endure Part 2 before graduation...then all the rest of the boards later on in order to practice and gain credentials. Look at yourself 5 and 10 years from now. Where do you see yourself (no need to answer)?

Reactions: 1 user
Here is an excellent example of the non surgical path:

I would recommend reaching out to the owner of the above business, @Jay Seidel on here, for more information.

May be best to get your doctorate, omit residency, then backtrack and get PA (2 year commitment).

Youll make more as a PA (vs pod associate usually) and much better market.

Maybe. You’re talking about taking on another 2 years worth or professional school debt with compounding loan interest growing vs at least generating some beer money as a resident. However, at least as a PA, you’ll be able to live wherever you want and not have to work at somebody’s glorified nail salon busting crusties all day.

Are you a practicing podiatrist? I have been soul searching for the last month about leaving. I think something is telling me to throw in the towel on this.
If you're having those thoughts now, I promise you will not regret it.

May be best to get your doctorate, omit residency, then backtrack and get PA (2 year commitment).

Youll make more as a PA (vs pod associate usually) and much better market.
Yeah, I really don't see the value in adding another $100,000 and wasting 2 years.

If you're having those thoughts now, I promise you will not regret it.
I think you’re right, at this moment I don’t even having feelings of regret about walking away. Why do you say this though? Just really interested in hearing what others have to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know 2 students from my class left Pod school after passing part 1, retook the MCAT, and got into DO schools. I am not saying to do one or the other, but dropping out does happen. If you're not happy now, then probably best to look at other careers. Pod residency, like any other residency, is tough/daunting, regardless of whether it's a surgical-heavy program. Good luck!

I feel like I'm seeing 2 separate issues in your posts

(a) You aren't enamored of surgery though I'm curious how you would already know that as a 3rd year student
(b) You don't like the profession. Why? The day to day? Medicine as a whole? Being a podiatrist? How you are treated as a podiatry student?

The simple truth is the majority of what most podiatrists do is non-operative. There's a reason so many people in hospitals are hiring PAs and NPs. They don't need another surgeon. They need someone to follow all the non-op Achilles tendonitis and lateral foot pain. Non-op can be enjoyable, but the problem is that the payment rates of everything are collapsing and the cost of entry to this degree is exploding.

Almost all states require you to have at least 1 year of residency training (sometimes more) which means if you complete school, do 1 year of residency, and then drop out you might be able to technically practice non-op, but you won't be able to get board certified through ABFAS (and probably not ABPM either) which means you could have difficulties with payment from insurance companies. The foot is also pretty small. Its one thing to "limit" yourself by not doing TAR. Its another thing to not do hammertoes and bunions.

Last of all, read up on sunk cost. If you hate it, move on I guess. A very expensive lesson though. Your mileage on leaving probably somewhat reflects the quality of the job market when you get out. A guy from the class below me left and claimed it was the best decision he ever made because he found an easy six-figure job. A guy from the class above me left and is I believe an engineer now. Going to podiatry school cost him his marriage but he reconnected with his wife and got remarried once he left podiatry. I on the other hand went into podiatry because I couldn't find a good job in the 2008s period. No one was hiring. My job at the time wouldn't discuss how you moved from junior to mid-level etc. It was a long road and overpriced, but podiatry is a better job than being the lowest level person at a large failing company.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you’re right, at this moment I don’t even having feelings of regret about walking away. Why do you say this though? Just really interested in hearing what others have to say.
At the end of the day, ALL jobs suck. They really do.

There's rarely any jobs that are that fun.

Sometimes you have to realize that romanticizing another career will have you fall into the same trap as podiatry.

Seeing patients, doing surgery, and filling out patient charts really isn't supposed to be fun. The reward is is knowing you are doing something productive and are making decent money doing it.

If you are having fun in a medical career, then you are probably doing something wrong.

• Hmm
At the end of the day, ALL jobs suck. They really do.

There's rarely any jobs that are that fun.

Sometimes you have to realize that romanticizing another career will have you fall into the same trap as podiatry.

Seeing patients, doing surgery, and filling out patient charts really isn't supposed to be fun. The reward is is knowing you are doing something productive and are making decent money doing it.

If you are having fun in a medical career, then you are probably doing something wrong.
Nothing you said makes sense. I see you are one of the cheerleaders of this big lie. Trying to convince me of something that you know isn’t true.

• Love
Nothing you said makes sense. I see you are one of the cheerleaders of this big lie. Trying to convince me of something that you know isn’t true.
I like what I do right now as a 3rd year resident.

I don't like my debt burden
I don't like the current job market

If I could freely do what I do now - using full scope of training- and make a decent living, I would do it again.

Its not all sunshine and rainbows, but neither is it all doom and gloom- even if well paying jobs and success stories are the minority of current job market.

Let’s just be real here. In no other medical profession are the same things debated over and over again when it comes to salary and return on investment. MDs and DOs don’t have to constantly have this conversation. Podiatry and the powers that be have done nothing to change the landscape of things. I had no idea that the truth was going to be revealed to me like it has over the last month, but it has been revealed and I think I have to act on the new found knowledge that I have gained and make a better decision for myself.

Reactions: 4 users
I just wish that more people would have the courage to be honest about podiatry and it’s pitfalls instead of drinking the kool aid all the time and acting if everything is just ok when it’s really not.

I just wish that more people would have the courage to be honest about podiatry and it’s pitfalls instead of drinking the kool aid all the time and acting if everything is just ok when it’s really not.
I mean I feel like the few dozen of us that post on here are being honest about the profession. The lies and deceit come from those that stand to benefit from the continued glut of students in this incredibly saturated profession.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean I feel like the few dozen of us that post on here are being honest about the profession. The lies and deceit come from those that stand to benefit from the continued glut of students in this incredibly saturated profession.
I appreciate you and others who are telling the truth. Previously I hadn’t found that website on angelfire called podiatry is a big lie but I stumbled upon it about 3 days ago and was taken aback by what I read. That since the 90s and 2000s podiatry schools have been full of deceitful tactics to fill seats. I mean I read negative things on SDN in the past about the profession but I never let it really sink in, but as I have entered 3rd year and nearing 4th year I just can’t help but think this probably just isn’t a good route to continue down.

I appreciate you and others who are telling the truth. Previously I hadn’t found that website on angelfire called podiatry is a big lie but I stumbled upon it about 3 days ago and was taken aback by what I read. That since the 90s and 2000s podiatry schools have been full of deceitful tactics to fill seats. I mean I read negative things on SDN in the past about the profession but I never let it really sink in, but as I have entered 3rd year and nearing 4th year I just can’t help but think this probably just isn’t a good route to continue down.
it's not.

It's great you are ready to make a life-changing decision based on SDN and other websites. Good luck to you.

Locking!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.