Non traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDT13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have some questions if some of you could help please. I'm currently in cc and going to transfer to UGA to finish my ba degree in biology. I'm currently 27 years old and really want to become a dentist. Just looking for advice on what path I need to be on to try and avoid 1-2 years off between undergrad and dental school. I've been in a dental lab for 12 years so I have a lot of experience in the dental field. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Read through as much of this site as you can. Start with the Stickied threads up top.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look up the pre-reqs for the schools you would want to apply to, take those classes along with the classes required to finish your BA while trying to maintain a high GPA (ideally 3.5 or higher). Additionally rack up shadowing hours (50-100 should do it, some schools have minimum requirements, so be sure to look these up) and try to get involved in something you're passionate about and work your way up to a leadership position so you have something to slap on your extracurriculars. Some schools also like to see volunteer hours, but that varies from school to school. Your extensive experience in the dental lab is pretty unique and something that should catch adcom's attention in the future.

I know you want to rush things because you are 27, but please whatever you do, make sure you get good grades bc they will always trump any kind of extracurricular, previous work exp, etc.

Oh I defiantly am striving for the best gpa I am capable of I'm more asking about when is the proper time to apply and what I can do to stand out and not have to sit out a couple years. A friend of mine just graduated dental school and he had a 3.9 gpa in undergrad and had to wait two years to be accepted.

well isnt it out of your control? you can load up on your prereqs, but if you get bad grades then it might take you longer to get into dental school. the proper time to apply is when you have finished your prereqs and have taken your DAT. you can apply during classes and taking the dat, but its difficult to do that. just pretend you have ONE SHOT to do this. make sure everything is right.

Ok that's helpful. I just don't want it to take longer than it needs to I know it's somewhat out of my control but I just don't want want to shoot my self in the foot because I didn't do that "one" thing that would have helped me along

From what I have learned about applying this cycle, it is all a crapshoot on getting interviews/acceptances. I've met a lot of people who I thought were stellar applicants stats wise, but were reapplying for a second time. The only saving grace I think i had was a strong DAT and couple years of age/experience on most applicants. I think if you can express a meaningful reason on why you want to be a dentist in you application then you will be fine.