Non-traditional Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmjx65

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and have recently decided to pursue a career in veterinary medicine and am looking for some advice.

Here is my background. Unfortunately my undergrad did not have the best policies in place to assist students with pursuing their career of choice. Our school actually forces students to decide a major during sophmore year. If we didn't, we weren't allowed to register for the next quarter. This results in many student changing their major...about an average of 8 times during the course of their undergrad career. Lame right?

Anyway, I graduated in 2005 with a BA in English. English wasn't my first choice but my credits only allowed me to apply to the English department. Anyway, I wavered between various career field - dental, medical, economics, journalism, and law. I took several science courses in undergrad: biology, gen chemistry, ochem, biology, and physics. I never completed the full year's worth of the course series for each...I mostly took 2 out of the 3 classes in a series. Made grades were an average of 3.1...not that great but I did work about 3 jobs concurrently throughout my undergrad career. I was also very active in my sorority and in the community - not animal related though.

I graduated with the intention of applying to law school. I have been working at a law firm for the past 3 years...I definitely enjoy the work but have found that most attorneys are dissatisfied and my interest in the field diminished.

I've always had a passion to work with animals and have started the reserach for a career change (not that I currently have a real carreer). I started volunteering at the local animal shelter for companion animals and plan to volunteer at the local zoo and another shelter up north that takes in wildlife and companion animals. I plan to continue to work at my law firm to generate enough of a savings to pay for a post-bacc program. Before I start my post bacc program I also intend to either pick up a second job or quit my current job to work at an emergency animal clinic in the area.

By the time I apply to Veterinary school...likely in 4 years, due to their policy, I have to retake my science classes.

Does anyone have recommendations for post-bacc schools? It looks like I can't get into most of the programs in UC schools because they only accept CA resident (which I'm not). Does it matter which school I go to - how rigourous their science program is? What are the top schools for science programs? I'm having a hard time finding rankign online. I'll probably to go a book store to find those answers. UPenn seems to have a great post bacc but I'm not sure I can get in. My grades were mediocre in my opinion - 3.33.

Aside from getting my general pre reqs done at the post-bacc...does anyone know if they allow students to take upper level classes? I'm intersted in taking histology, anatomy, nutrition, and possibly pathology. I realize this will extend the amout of time I'm in undergrad but I think it's totally worth it.

Also, how do vet schools looks at/weigh first undergrad science grades as opposed to post bacc science grades? I have to admit, I wasn't the most serious student in undergrad but now that I have a real goal and desire to pursue a career I'm passionate about I KNOW I will work my butt of to do well in the post bacc program.

One more question...is it okay to ask admissions counselor at vet schools for assistance? How helpful are most admissions counselors to people not part of their school? I'm planning to visit the schools I'm intersted in later this year and will make appointments with advisors when the time comes.

Any other advice people have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have recommendations for post-bacc schools?

The closest public university (cheaper!). Which school does not matter anywhere near as much as (arguably not at all) how well you do, as long as you're at a 4-year not a CC (Not putting CCs down, everyone, just saying if you have the choice pick a 4-year).

Aside from getting my general pre reqs done at the post-bacc...does anyone know if they allow students to take upper level classes? I'm intersted in taking histology, anatomy, nutrition, and possibly pathology. I realize this will extend the amout of time I'm in undergrad but I think it's totally worth it.
As long as you fulfill a university's own prereqs, I don't see why they wouldn't let you take the courses (i.e. organic before biochem). Are you looking into a post-bacc program? Or just going back to do prereqs?

Also, how do vet schools looks at/weigh first undergrad science grades as opposed to post bacc science grades?

Vet schools frequently (there are exceptions, but I'm not really familiar with them) look at your overall GPA, your science (or prereq) GPA, and your last 45 credits GPA as sort of separate entities.

One more question...is it okay to ask admissions counselor at vet schools for assistance? How helpful are most admissions counselors to people not part of their school?

The job of admissions counselors is to counsel applicants on the admissions process. So yes, it's fine to ask them. I wouldn't go into a meeting and say 'so, I don't want to go to YOUR school...but...'

Quite a few returning non-trads do a one year, non-thesis based MS instead of just taking new science classes. I am currently in one at Colorado State, and yes there are two former english majors in the program. :) Here is a link to my program, I know a few other schools do similar programs. http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/bms/planB.htm The neat thing about programs like this is not only do you get apprpriate science classes, but many are 500+ level, so the adcoms can see you handling more than just undergrad courses. It is pretty much the consensus of most of the people in the program who got into professional schools this cycle that the program had a big part to do with their successes (plus actually getting near a 4.0 in those classes). There was a discussion topic a few weeks ago about these programs you may want to check out. Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
depending on which schools you apply to, you may not have to redo old pre-reqs. I graduated in 2001 and just did the remaining pre-reqs that I lacked while applying.

I did my classes online/distance....but I only had a few pre-reqs left and none requiring labs.

You might not have to go through that much to “get in to” an official post-bacc program. I took classes for 5 years as a post-bacc at my local public university. The application process was easy. I filled out a one page form, sent them a copy of my undergrad transcript showing that I had my degree, and paid the application fee. My application was approved within a week and I registered for classes. I haven’t followed a specific program. I just took the classes I needed for vet school – no advising or anything.

I found out too late that what I should have done was gone through the trouble to apply as a second degree-seeking student. I think the application process would have been a bit more involved, but I don’t doubt I would have been accepted. Another downside would have been having to put up with an advisor – either pretending to care what they say, or telling them the truth about my intentions (not actually completing a second degree) but still having to go through the motions of meeting with them each semester. There are two huge upsides, though. As a post-bacc, I was considered to be in the graduate program, and I paid grad student tuition, even if I was taking undergrad classes. Grad student tuition was significantly more expensive, especially adding up over the years. Also, as a post-bacc, I got the lowest registration priority. Freshman with no credit hours got to register before me. That wasn’t a problem with the lower level classes that had lots of seats, but was an issue the last few semesters, especially getting into full labs. As a second degree-seeker, I would have had the highest registration priority. This stuff probably varies from school to school, but it is worth doing the research.

Finally, a note about community college courses: I agree that most vet schools probably prefer to see the bulk of your classes done at a 4-year school, and as pointed out in many places, most of your upper level science classes aren’t available at CCs. That being said, it has worked for me and many others to take some classes at a CC. I took all my “easy” prereqs there: Eng comp, public speaking, and two business classes. The classes were easy, cheap, and convenient (location and time of day).

I also agree with sumstorm that your prereqs will not “expire” at all schools. I didn’t even consider applying to schools that had a time limit on courses. I was lucky that my IS school doesn’t have that rule. I’m not sure what I would have done if they DID have that rule – maybe retake a few classes. Maybe move to a more reasonable state.

Would it be worth retaking the general science courses to improve on grades? If I were to kick butt and do really well I would only average out to a 3.2 or 3.5 at best...that's if I get between a 3.6 and 4.0 in the classes.

I'll probably end up taking classes at my local public university....they are pretty well known for their rigorous science courses. I can actually take classes as a non-degree seeking student. Tuition is a little steep due to State budget cuts but I think it's worth it.

Thanks all for the wonderful advice.

Retaking will depend on the schools you want to go to. I didn't, because all the schools I applied to averaged the scores from both classes. Instead, I took upper levels and aced those.

I can actually take classes as a non-degree seeking student.

Just to warn you - a lot of people have had issues with not getting into classes if they weren't degree-seeking students. Not saying you have to pursue a second degree, but I'd be sure to check enrollment priorities and make sure you'll be able to get into all the labs and such.

Definitely check out where you are on the date list for registration, before you try to do it as non-degree seeking. At most schools, you'd watch the class fill up before you could even log in to register.

Just to warn you - a lot of people have had issues with not getting into classes if they weren't degree-seeking students. Not saying you have to pursue a second degree, but I'd be sure to check enrollment priorities and make sure you'll be able to get into all the labs and such.

This is a biggie. As a second degree-seeking student, you should be close to the top of the list for registration purposes. Like other posters have said - being a non degree seeking or graduate non degree-seeking usually put you at the end of the line for registration. It stinks.:thumbdown:

I concur with the last couple posters.

Post-baccs are rare to find, expensive, and not very useful in many cases.

On the other hand you can get admitted to almost any school as a second bachelors student and will have pretty much first choice at getting into classes.

I was admitted to the formal Post-bacc program at Umass-Boston, but was getting emails weeks before classes started saying things like Gen Bio were full and we would need to be put on a waitlist behind all undergrads.

So I went to Umass amhest instead, and once I accepted could enroll in classes before all the undergrads.

Wow, they actually call it "Plan B". I love that.

Yes we laugh about the name too! :laugh: It is supposed to mean track 2 -- non-thesis based. But the former is what we use it for. Just FYI, this year there were 317 applicants for the 50 slots, usually there are about 150!

As to expiring pre-reqs, I had no problem with that. Some of my gen bio/chem classes were taken almost before the incoming freshmen were born. I actually took gen chem and anatomy from professors who are now dead! :p I did not have any problem with that from either the vet schools or my college, although I returned to the same school to finish my BS, before doing the MS-B program. In fact, when I returned for my BS, since I had been gone for over 5 years, they let me start over with a "fresh" GPA, and simply keep the academic credit for all the classes I got a C or above in.