Non-Traditional Students Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mommyaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Wanted to introduce myself, I'm Aamena, I graduated college back in 2007 as a psychology major. I'm now looking to get into podiatry. (Had a long gap because I got married and had two kids) there are several pre reqs i wasnt able to complete in college. I am taking physics 2 at a community college right now and i'm planning to take orgo 1 and 2 in summer sessions 1 and 2! I also haven't taken my mcat yet, i plan to do so in the fall after i finish up with orgo! I'll be taking those at a community college as well. My cumulative gpa is about 3.3, not sure about my science. I'll be shadowing a podiatrist next month. I have a lot of volunteer hours at UMD pedoatrics and UMD shock trauma. I worked at a cardiologists office theough college as well. I always knew i wanted to get into the medical field just couldnt figure out what! I have several questions! Does it look bad that i'm taking these classes at a cc? And that too after i already have my degree? How often so non traditional students get accepted? My number one choice is NYCPM because i live in NJ and I have to stay close by because i've got two kids. Second, can I apply even before i have taken the mcats? I'm thinking to apply for NYCPM 's january term (the decelerated program) mostly because im getting into school after such a long time so that might make the transition a bit easier for me! Will schools offer interviews even if my MCAT score isnt in? The NYCPM jan cycle opens up august 1st so should i apply early and still continue with mcats and so on?
Your insight would greatly be appreciated! Thanks so much in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about the typos!!! Its quite late for me to function properly lol

Does it look bad that i'm taking these classes at a cc?
Get good grades and you will be fine.

And that too after i already have my degree?
Again, just do well in your courses. Don't worry.

How often so non traditional students get accepted?
I don't have any stats on this (not sure they even exist). I'm a nontrad..I've been accepted to multiple schools. Nontrads have a lot to offer, so don't sell yourself short. Work experience and balancing family/work/school speaks volumes.

My number one choice is NYCPM because i live in NJ and I have to stay close by because i've got two kids.
Fort Lee is a good NJ option for living. Apply broadly, it's not that expensive and you never know where life will take you.

Second, can I apply even before i have taken the mcats?
Yes. Some schools will hold off interviewing you until they get your scores and some will interview you before scores. None will accept you without scores.

I'm thinking to apply for NYCPM 's january term (the decelerated program) mostly because im getting into school after such a long time so that might make the transition a bit easier for me! Will schools offer interviews even if my MCAT score isnt in? The NYCPM jan cycle opens up august 1st so should i apply early and still continue with mcats and so on?
Some will offer interviews pre-MCAT, others will not. NYCPM generally waits for MCATs to be in. Do well in your coursework and get your MCAT done. Plan your MCAT studying well (maybe a 4 month study program rather than a 2 month being that you have classes and family responsibilities). Book your MCAT date early. Seats fill up quickly in NJ.

Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto on the non-trad stuff. it is more of a positive than negative, imo. It took me the first semester to get the rust off, but if you are doing physio and then orgo, you should be ok. The decelerated program may not be a bad option.. podiatry starts fast and furious (at least we did) and it took a bit to get up to full speed. That being said, I managed to survive (and do well) and you will too.

Good Luck!

NYCPM would be great for you too, you should look into their January program. You are in school for an extra ~1/2 year. The first 2 years (preclinical) are decelerated so that you will have more time to focus on the classes vs. traditional matriculants, and by the 3rd year you will be all caught up and in clinical rotations with your class.