anna379

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
is anyone applying as a non-trad? i've worked for 3 years in industry and am thinking about applying for 2006 (i'll be 27). i'm concerned because there are no schools in my state and i will be travelling to another state for school. i know school work will keep me busy but am worried about not being able to relate and fit in with people 5-6 years younger than me.
thanks!

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
In a dark room
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
anna379 said:
is anyone applying as a non-trad? i've worked for 3 years in industry and am thinking about applying for 2006 (i'll be 27). i'm concerned because there are no schools in my state and i will be travelling to another state for school. i know school work will keep me busy but am worried about not being able to relate and fit in with people 5-6 years younger than me.
thanks!
At my school there are a lot of students around your age, so you'd have no trouble "fitting in". The majority of students are straight out of college (23-24), but there are quite a few who work for a couple years before they decide to go to optometry school. The intense coursework and the practicing you do on each other brings everyone closer together, so after a quarter/semester or so, you really won't pay much attention to age anymore.

Good luck! :)

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
Tampa
Status
Optometrist
I went back to OD school after three years in biotechnology. I started school at 26. There will be non-trad students in your class. OD schools seems to like them. :D

About the Ads
OP
A

anna379

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
thanks for your posts - i'm excited about it and think this will be a pretty good fit for me. but my biggest concern is travelling to another state on my own. classmates will probably be the only people i know.

About the Ads