Non-traditional taking a couple CC classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sort of new here! :) I graduated a couple years ago w/ a BS in aviation management and have been working as a flight instructor/airline pilot ever since.

I recently took chem 1, bio 1, and physics 1 at a 4-year university. Because of my schedule at work, I registered for chem 2 and bio 2 at a local CC this summer (couldn't justify moving and living like an undergrad over the summer for 2 classes!). I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not community college classes will put a dent in my application. This is absolutely the ONLY semester I'm planning on going to a CC - already registered for organic 1, microbio, and physics 2 at a state university for Fall 08.

I haven't taken the MCATs yet obviously but I think I'm on the right track for a solid application... 3.8 cummulative, 4.0 science, lots of shadowing and clinicals, diverse interests, blah blah blah... all other things being equal , does any one have any opinions on the CC classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it, just do good in it.

Hi, I'm sort of new here! :) I graduated a couple years ago w/ a BS in aviation management and have been working as a flight instructor/airline pilot ever since.

I recently took chem 1, bio 1, and physics 1 at a 4-year university. Because of my schedule at work, I registered for chem 2 and bio 2 at a local CC this summer (couldn't justify moving and living like an undergrad over the summer for 2 classes!). I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not community college classes will put a dent in my application. This is absolutely the ONLY semester I'm planning on going to a CC - already registered for organic 1, microbio, and physics 2 at a state university for Fall 08.

I haven't taken the MCATs yet obviously but I think I'm on the right track for a solid application... 3.8 cummulative, 4.0 science, lots of shadowing and clinicals, diverse interests, blah blah blah... all other things being equal , does any one have any opinions on the CC classes?

At least one person has posted on here saying he got into med school having taken prerequisites in community college, but that doesn't mean it's not a disadvantage. It would be nice if you could find a way to communicate to adcoms at some point why you felt you had to do this. Is there no way you can take chem and bio in spring 09?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there no way you can take chem and bio in spring 09?

1. Time is money. 2. I'm not getting younger. 3. An extra semester is an extra year in the application process from what I calculated in my scenario. 4. I'm not 18 with no real bills and I'm not living in a dorm with a beat up 89 camry parked out front. 5. I can explain if I need to.

Since you are a non-traditional applicant and you have an excuse for needing to take these at a community college, I see no problem. As long as you do well on the MCAT and do the rest of your coursework at a 4-year university, it shouldn’t hurt. The only thing I may worry about is whether the CC courses adequately prepare you for those sections of the MCAT.

Since you are a non-traditional applicant and you have an excuse for needing to take these at a community college, I see no problem. As long as you do well on the MCAT and do the rest of your coursework at a 4-year university, it shouldn’t hurt. The only thing I may worry about is whether the CC courses adequately prepare you for those sections of the MCAT.

I was concerned about that too... I really don't think the local CC is very challenging with these courses. I'm going to do some outside studying and prep above and beyond what I get at the CC this summer.

I've got a flight student that's a surgeon that told me he did better on his MCATs before he took his orgo chems than after he took his orgo chems... :laugh:

I was concerned about that too... I really don't think the local CC is very challenging with these courses. I'm going to do some outside studying and prep above and beyond what I get at the CC this summer.

I've got a flight student that's a surgeon that told me he did better on his MCATs before he took his orgo chems than after he took his orgo chems... :laugh:

But apparently not well enough the first time. Your post would suggest he took the MCAT twice.

I suppose he could've been talking about practice tests.

Most non-traditional students, including myself, have to take classes at the CC-level before going to a university. I was away from school for several years after high school, so I didn't really have any choice. As long as you receive a good GPA and do well on the MCAT, they can't really question whether you learned enough. I haven't even taken any of the o-chem series or the two of the three physics classes and still was able to score 34 or 35 on my first practice test; you can certainly learn enough in CC.

I'm not saying it won't have some small negative impact, but there is also some good you can procure from the experience. For example, classes are not curved in CC (none that I have taken were, anyway), and you have to get 95% or higher for a 4.0, so in that respect it can actually represent a stronger work ethic. There is also a lot of collaboration because if your neighbor does well it won't affect you negatively.

That said, I'm happy to be transferring to a university after this coming quarter. I really want to prove that I haven't been giving myself an easy time in CC--maybe it will give you some perspective. I think the bottom line is this: do well on the MCAT, and whether or not your CC pre-reqs were difficult or intensive enough becomes a non-issue.

2 of the 3 physics classes? CC classes not being curved? What country is this in?

Haha, what? It's the United States, state of Washington. :p

I don't think I've EVER had a class curved. I think my Calc 3 instructor bumped our grades by 0.1 last quarter, but I'm not really sure about that.

And I don't think the physics things is weird. Three quarters (or two semesters) of physics is typical.

I just got an email back from UF saying that "You should not take the CC classes." Has any one applied to UF or similarly-tiered schools and gotten shot down because of a measly CC credit when you had a 4.0 BCPM?? :idea:

2 of the 3 physics classes? CC classes not being curved? What country is this in?

Not ONE of my CC classes was ever curved. Almost every one of my university courses has been curved. I'm finding my upper-div sciences at a university MUCH easier than my OChem at CC.

Not ONE of my CC classes was ever curved. Almost every one of my university courses has been curved. I'm finding my upper-div sciences at a university MUCH easier than my OChem at CC.

Agreed.

Er, I mean, I had the same experience.

1. Time is money. 2. I'm not getting younger. 3. An extra semester is an extra year in the application process from what I calculated in my scenario. 4. I'm not 18 with no real bills and I'm not living in a dorm with a beat up 89 camry parked out front. 5. I can explain if I need to.

I wasn't trying to attack you, I just assumed that with those prereqs coming up in the fall you would be applying in spring 09. I can see how if you were applying now waiting another semester would force you to wait another year to apply. Like I said, I think it's a negative but it doesn't seem like it will prevent you from ever getting into a medical school.

I got responses from two UCs since I'm in a similar situation and the response was an unequivocal "don't do it." I can't afford it either but I've decided to just take out loans and live like an undergrad for the summer. I found the only other people advising me to take a few CC classes were other premeds, while admissions people said they might not even count them or, at minimum, consider them less seriously than an applican with all university grades.

Last edited:
I got responses from two UCs since I'm in a similar situation and the response was an unequivocal "don't do it." I can't afford it either but I've decided to just take out loans and live like an undergrad for the summer. I found the only other people advising me to take a few CC classes were other premeds, while admissions people said they might not even count them or, at minimum, consider them less seriously than an applican with all university grades.

I got a clarification from UF... they said it's not impossible but "it can make it harder." Hopefully my application isn't borderline though to the point where ONE class will make it or break it...

if Chemcu doesn't, I WILL!

shoot! that was awesome!

i too am at a top 25 undergrad and have taken CC courses.

FACT: Cirriculum is curriculum
FACT: I learned more at the CC

lol...i had to throw in the "FACT" thing too...reminds me of dwight shrute!

:) hehe

Last edited: