Non-Traditional WAMC / School List / 519 MCAT / 3.96 Culm / 4.00 Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trigen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some feedback on my application, since I'm a very non-traditional student. I'm 34, I work in IT Mangement and have for the last 10 years. I recently decided to do what I've always wanted to do and go back to school to become a physician. Got my BS in 2009 and just went back and took all of my pre-med reqs over the last 2 years; 1 year of each Calc, Chem, O Chem, Bio, A&P, Biochem, Physics and got a 4.0.

1. Social / Residence: Caucasian Male, Non Traditional Student, 34yrs old, Ohio

2. GPA: 3.96 Culm (Psych Major, From my original college run 2005-2009), 4.00 Sciences/Calc (From the last 2 years)

3. MCAT Score: 519 (130/130/129/130)

4. Research Experience: None since 2008 when I worked for roughly 120hrs, with a proff who has since retired.

5. Clinical/Shadowing Experience: 12hrs ICU, 100+ hrs Radiology

6. Non-Clinical Volunteering: About 8 hours with my coworkers doing cleanup for a tornado in my hometown, so not much.

7. Other: I work about 45hours a week as a manager and have througout all of my time back to school. I put my fiance through nursing school as she didn't work during school; during that I was working full time and going to school full time.

8. Letters: I should have 2 very good letters from my boss and a physican i shadowed, the 2 other letters will be from science professors and while they'll be positive I don't know how amazing they'll be as it has been difficult to cultivate relationships with professors with my time constraints.

My tentative list of schools is as follows but i'm terrified that despite my decent GPA and MCAT score I don't really check a lot of the boxes.

- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
- Ohio State University College of Medicine
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- University of Washington School of Medicine
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Emory University School of Medicine
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- Indiana University School of Medicine
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
- University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
- University of Connecticut School of Medicine
- Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
- Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences

Thank you all immensly for all the help, this website and reddit have been an enormous help throughout this process.

Members don't see this ad.

Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. UNC and UConn accept few non residents with no connection to the state. With you limited clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering you should add more schools and I suggest these:
NEOMED
West Virginia
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
USF Morsani
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Jefferson
Drexel
Hofstra
Einstein
Tufts
Vermont

Thank you for the input, I saw that Washington U accepted out of state but failed to take into consideration that that may just be from the pacific northwest. UConn was honestly probably my last choice so that's easy to remove. UNC is a school I'd love to go as I have been to and love Chapel Hill, NC. However, if it's hopeless i'll remove it. My only question would be are you suggeting that my lack of clinical exposure and volunterring means i should apply 33 schools? Or were you insinuating that i remove more competitive schools and replace them with the suggested less competitve schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input, I saw that Washington U accepted out of state but failed to take into consideration that that may just be from the pacific northwest. UConn was honestly probably my last choice so that's easy to remove. UNC is a school I'd love to go as I have been to and love Chapel Hill, NC. However, if it's hopeless i'll remove it. My only question would be are you suggeting that my lack of clinical exposure and volunterring means i should apply 33 schools? Or were you insinuating that i remove more competitive schools and replace them with the suggested less competitve schools?
You do not need to remove the more competitive schools on your list. Your lack of clinical and non clinical hours will result in fewer interviews than other applicants with a 3.96 GPA and 519 MCAT score. That is why you should add more schools to increase your chances for more interviews.

I would really appreciate some feedback on my application, since I'm a very non-traditional student. I'm 34, I work in IT Mangement and have for the last 10 years. I recently decided to do what I've always wanted to do and go back to school to become a physician. Got my BS in 2009 and just went back and took all of my pre-med reqs over the last 2 years; 1 year of each Calc, Chem, O Chem, Bio, A&P, Biochem, Physics and got a 4.0.

1. Social / Residence: Caucasian Male, Non Traditional Student, 34yrs old, Ohio

2. GPA: 3.96 Culm (Psych Major, From my original college run 2005-2009), 4.00 Sciences/Calc (From the last 2 years)

3. MCAT Score: 519 (130/130/129/130)

4. Research Experience: None since 2008 when I worked for roughly 120hrs, with a proff who has since retired.

5. Clinical/Shadowing Experience: 12hrs ICU, 100+ hrs Radiology

6. Non-Clinical Volunteering: About 8 hours with my coworkers doing cleanup for a tornado in my hometown, so not much.

7. Other: I work about 45hours a week as a manager and have througout all of my time back to school. I put my fiance through nursing school as she didn't work during school; during that I was working full time and going to school full time.

8. Letters: I should have 2 very good letters from my boss and a physican i shadowed, the 2 other letters will be from science professors and while they'll be positive I don't know how amazing they'll be as it has been difficult to cultivate relationships with professors with my time constraints.

My tentative list of schools is as follows but i'm terrified that despite my decent GPA and MCAT score I don't really check a lot of the boxes.

- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
- Ohio State University College of Medicine
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- University of Washington School of Medicine
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Emory University School of Medicine
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- Indiana University School of Medicine
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
- University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
- University of Connecticut School of Medicine
- Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
- Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences

Thank you all immensly for all the help, this website and reddit have been an enormous help throughout this process.
Without clinical experience and nonclinical volunteering, you're DOA. How much actual shadowing do you have, because that's a separate clinical experience.

I have 12hrs shadowing ICU and 110ish hours shadowing radiology. Thanks for the input