Non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husker_student_93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making my first foray into "WAMC", and invite all feedback.

I consider myself to be a non-traditional applicant. I started my undergrad at a service academy (West Point), but in the last semester was forced to withdraw due to some severe health problems which prevented me from completing that semester and ultimately graduating/commissioning (have since recovered). I'm finishing my undergrad at a local public university (UNL) and applying to MD/DO programs in the upcoming cycle.

These are my stats:
USMA GPA: 3.01
UNL GPA: 3.7
MCAT 513

I understand the drawbacks to my application--mostly the low GPA and not being able to graduate from the academy. But, my academic performance has been night/day between West Point and UNL, and the improvement has come in pretty tough science classes (biology, stats, organic, biochem, physics, genetics, physiology). West Point was tough academically (and in many other ways) and at that point I didn't aspire to medical school so I wasn't overly concerned about my GPA. As far as not graduating from the academy, they were pretty unbending re: my medical status and the situation was beyond my control--not sure if/how much that sets me back (I will end up graduating from UNL).

Besides school I've been working as a CNA, doing some shadowing, volunteer work etc. I have some solid letters of recommendation lined up, from professors at UNL and from officers/mentors at West Point. Also my MCAT was not too terrible.

So, what are my chances? I plan on applying to my state school (UNMC), but will focus mostly on DO programs.

Thanks for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Your state school is where your best chance is for MD. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several and and you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Making my first foray into "WAMC", and invite all feedback.

I consider myself to be a non-traditional applicant. I started my undergrad at a service academy (West Point), but in the last semester was forced to withdraw due to some severe health problems which prevented me from completing that semester and ultimately graduating/commissioning (have since recovered). I'm finishing my undergrad at a local public university (UNL) and applying to MD/DO programs in the upcoming cycle.

These are my stats:
USMA GPA: 3.01
UNL GPA: 3.7
MCAT 513

I understand the drawbacks to my application--mostly the low GPA and not being able to graduate from the academy. But, my academic performance has been night/day between West Point and UNL, and the improvement has come in pretty tough science classes (biology, stats, organic, biochem, physics, genetics, physiology). West Point was tough academically (and in many other ways) and at that point I didn't aspire to medical school so I wasn't overly concerned about my GPA. As far as not graduating from the academy, they were pretty unbending re: my medical status and the situation was beyond my control--not sure if/how much that sets me back (I will end up graduating from UNL).

Besides school I've been working as a CNA, doing some shadowing, volunteer work etc. I have some solid letters of recommendation lined up, from professors at UNL and from officers/mentors at West Point. Also my MCAT was not too terrible.

So, what are my chances? I plan on applying to my state school (UNMC), but will focus mostly on DO programs.

Thanks for any feedback.
Also consider:
Albany
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
NYMC
Loyola
Tulane
Rosy Franklin
Tufts
Gtown
GWU
Wake
EVMS

Members don't see this ad :)
Also consider:
Albany
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
NYMC
Loyola
Tulane
Rosy Franklin
Tufts
Gtown
GWU
Wake
EVMS

Hi Goro,

Just wanted to circle back and see if you had anymore wisdom to offer while I finalize my application. My stats haven't changed and I'm getting ready to submit my application (MD and DO). My focus is still on DO schools (DMU in particular) and, to a lesser degree, my state MD school. I'm a little antsy after reading some of your other advice on SDN, knowing that my GPA, though recently trending very strongly upwards, will still be around a 3.2 (cumulatively). Besides honestly explaining myself, is there anything I can do/say to strengthen my application at this point? My fear is that my relatively high MCAT won't be enough to merit a second look if my GPA is outside the typically competitive range. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi Goro,

Just wanted to circle back and see if you had anymore wisdom to offer while I finalize my application. My stats haven't changed and I'm getting ready to submit my application (MD and DO). My focus is still on DO schools (DMU in particular) and, to a lesser degree, my state MD school. I'm a little antsy after reading some of your other advice on SDN, knowing that my GPA, though recently trending very strongly upwards, will still be around a 3.2 (cumulatively). Besides honestly explaining myself, is there anything I can do/say to strengthen my application at this point? My fear is that my relatively high MCAT won't be enough to merit a second look if my GPA is outside the typically competitive range. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Service to others less fortunate than yourself is always good.
UNL? Is that UNLV? if so, don't forget UN-Reno.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln. My work as a CNA is at the hospital which serves mostly the poorer members of the community, and I do a sizable amount of volunteer work.