Non Trads: Letter of Rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predpt323

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering what other non traditional students have done for letters of rec from professors? I majored in PoliSci in undergrad and graduated 4 years ago. One of my mentors from back then has agreed to write a letter of rec for me, but I was wondering if it would be better to get a recommendation from a pre-req professor? The only problem is that I've taken all of my pre reqs at CC and have not developed any strong connections with any of the professors there.

Does it matter? Let me know what you've experienced.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was wondering what other non traditional students have done for letters of rec from professors? I majored in PoliSci in undergrad and graduated 4 years ago. One of my mentors from back then has agreed to write a letter of rec for me, but I was wondering if it would be better to get a recommendation from a pre-req professor? The only problem is that I've taken all of my pre reqs at CC and have not developed any strong connections with any of the professors there.

Does it matter? Let me know what you've experienced.
Hi! I graduated in 2010 with a Comm degree and had to take all of my prereqs as post-bacc classes at community colleges. Even though I graduated quite a bit earlier than you, I think you should get your recommendation letters from professors that can attest to your more recent academic performance. If you still have any remaining prepreqs to take, I would suggest getting to know the professors well and requesting a letter from on of them. If not, its probably not too late to request a letter from one of the profs you had recently.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated in 2012 so it felt too long to go back and ask one of my undergrad professors, so I also asked for recommendation from one of the professors I had for new prereqs. I felt it was better to get a representation from someone who was currently seeing me in class than someone which it had been awhile. It did help that the first day of class we introduced why we were in the class and when I mentioned PT, the professor was very interested so we talked a lot right away and kept that relationship through class. I still talk with them even now that I am in PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied 4 years after graduating. I only applied to schools that didn't require a professor letter of recommendation.

letters of rec is definitely important. the ptcas has a pdf of survey providers of recommendations have to fill out. you have to pick a professor that match the criteria asked by dpt programs that really like you and really believes that youll make a good pt.

I was in your exact situation. I graduated in 2012 and took pre-reqs at a local CC. I ended up asking my A&P professor to write a recommendation, despite the fact that the class was hybrid-distance (we did some labs in-person and lecture was all distance) and I didn't feel like I developed much of a relationship there. I made sure my other 2 recs (one from a PT I was shadowing and one from my supervisor) would be from people who knew me REALLY well, so I was okay with my academic/professor one not being as personal. I did very well in the class, which is challenging in an accelerated (summer) distance format, so I felt the professor could speak to my ability to learn anatomy & phys in a difficult environment. Think about your application holistically and what bases you have covered. If you have other recs that can speak to your interest in PT and some other qualities that would make you a good candidate, it might be just what you need to just have a professor say you were a great student in a difficult class and speak to your academic abilities!

Reactions: 1 users
I am also a non trad student and I did not use recs from any of my professors. I had an A&P teacher from the CC I took my pre recs at willing to write me a letter but in the end I decided not to use her. I ended up having 1 letter from a PT I shadowed with and my remaining letters came from co workers/managers at my job. My top choice had a lot of emphasis on professionalism so I felt that these people could speak to that strength of mine and then let the grades speak for themselves.

I have no idea if this is the best plan for you but I figured I’d share so you had more perspectives to base your decision off of. If the programs you are applying to require a letter from a prof then that kinda seals the deal for you.