Non-Tradtional / Career Changer 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicinemann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just turned 38 years old and I've been considering a career change into medicine and I had a few questions for the experts. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

For the last 12-13 years I've been working in sales and business development, but I'm miserable and really don't like what I'm doing anymore.

Before my career in sales I was a full time pre-med student working 20-30 hours in a local operating room as an anesthesiology technician and delivering medical supplies for a home respiratory company.

During the last year of school I experienced some family hardships and between work and everything else I burnt myself out and let my grades slide a little bit and even withdrew from some classes.

I completed all of my pre-reqs and graduated cum laude in 2005 with a BS in biology. In addition, I accumulated thousands of hours of direct patient work experience and shadowing.

Then, in 2004, before I graduated, I was offered a full time sales job which I accepted. I only planned on taking a short break from school, but here we are 12 years later and I'm regretting not achieving my goal of going to medical school.

About me:
- 38 years old
- BS in Biology in 2005
- Cum gpa = 3.268 (I believe my science gpa is higher)
- Multiple W's on my record (I can explain them)
- 1000's of hours working in a hospital setting
- 100's maybe 1000's of hours shadowing my brother (he's an oral and maxillo-facial surgeon)
- 12-13 years professional work experience including selling medical supplies
- Awarded full scholorship for academic excellence during school

Questions for the experts:
- Some schools are saying I will need to retake all of my pre-reqs. Any thoughts on this?
- I have been studying on my own using free resources and was considering taking the MCAT to see how I do. Is this a bad idea?
- I have all of that work and shadowing experience but its 10+ years old is it worthless now?
- I am considering taking a post-bacc program, but I've already taken the pre-reqs and these programs are expensive. Should I give these some additional thought?
- Should I get my masters degree and go that route and apply?

Thanks again for reading my post and thank you for any input and advice anyone is willing to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank god there are some real non-trads in this forum.

You're good. 42 here, was 39 when I got the nod.

Forget traditional math. Forget traditional thinking. Get whatever is required and apply, have the best damn PS anyone's ever seen and own the interview.

Trust me, your competition isn't going to be close. Have a clear picture and articulate it. Send me a PM if you are serious about medicine.

Regarding the old grades, that's probably school specific, so check on schools to which you would apply.

Regarding the old experience, very very good.

Regarding taking the mcat to see how you do, that's a very bad idea. There are a lot of full length practice exams you can take to give yourself an idea of where you stand. AAMC practice tests are supposed to be the most realistic. The Princeton Review has an MCAT study book that comes with 3 or 4 full length practice tests. Take advantage of those.