Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone...It's funny how mind-boggling the life of an MD/PhD applicant can get. To get to the point:
1) I know what I want 15 years from now, I know where I want to be and I know how to accomplish it. I see myself starting my own lab at a competitive school, doing neuro-related basic science and attempting at successfully bridging the gap into clinic. Patient-oriented and disease-oriented research (as Brown & Goldstein define it in their JCI article) both appeal to me - and I know the path to a being a good MD/PhD doing 'good' science is pretty arduous. So now the question is: can I get accepted with my credentials for 2005 matriculation?
2) I'm a junior @ UConn - GPA 3.9, University Scholar, majoring in Literature & Molecular/Cell Bio. I have loads of medical experience (both parents MDs). Senior year of high school I did some NMR-related protein work, but my first semester in college I switched to molecular neuro for research. I did a summer worth of work @ Harvard Med, a semester worth of work @ the European Institute for Molecular Biology (Drosophila) - participated @ 2 Neuroscience SFN conferences, 1 regional conference. I have been involved with research for about 4 years now. But out of all these experiences, I've got only ONE second-author publication (the paper itself had only the one other author plus the PI on it). I'm hopeful for maybe a first-author publication by graduation time. I have excellent references from the places I've interned at, but most importantly - my UConn PI loves me, and she's a great mentor. I am very passionate about what I do, and I tend to interview very well in sciences. I do decently well in standardized tests, but I am not totally optimistic about the MCAT - I took a practice and scored a 30. I think I could get around a 34 or higher on the real test.
2) I also opted to take the August MCAT (finishing physics, orgo work this semester). I did research on this and I figured that the schools I really wanted to get into didn't care about August MCAT. For some reason, I always manage to avoid MCAT-practice-time and rather read an interesting paper pertaining to my research work.
3) I am not a US citizen or a permanent resident yet (it should happen in the upcoming years).
4) I'm applying to some top-notch schools (and they do fund). If I don't get in this year, I'll reapply next year. But, I'm wondering what some more 'experienced' people out there think about my chances of getting a fully funded position at any of the following (keeping in mind the August MCAT / my citizenship status): Cornell, Harvard, Columbia, Duke, UPenn, WashU, Yale, Chicago - Pritzker, Baylor, UT Southwestern. Additionally, I may apply to Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai & Tufts.
5) finally - I think this is a great website - and I wanted to thank everyone for putting the time in, as some comments were really useful to me.
🙂
1) I know what I want 15 years from now, I know where I want to be and I know how to accomplish it. I see myself starting my own lab at a competitive school, doing neuro-related basic science and attempting at successfully bridging the gap into clinic. Patient-oriented and disease-oriented research (as Brown & Goldstein define it in their JCI article) both appeal to me - and I know the path to a being a good MD/PhD doing 'good' science is pretty arduous. So now the question is: can I get accepted with my credentials for 2005 matriculation?
2) I'm a junior @ UConn - GPA 3.9, University Scholar, majoring in Literature & Molecular/Cell Bio. I have loads of medical experience (both parents MDs). Senior year of high school I did some NMR-related protein work, but my first semester in college I switched to molecular neuro for research. I did a summer worth of work @ Harvard Med, a semester worth of work @ the European Institute for Molecular Biology (Drosophila) - participated @ 2 Neuroscience SFN conferences, 1 regional conference. I have been involved with research for about 4 years now. But out of all these experiences, I've got only ONE second-author publication (the paper itself had only the one other author plus the PI on it). I'm hopeful for maybe a first-author publication by graduation time. I have excellent references from the places I've interned at, but most importantly - my UConn PI loves me, and she's a great mentor. I am very passionate about what I do, and I tend to interview very well in sciences. I do decently well in standardized tests, but I am not totally optimistic about the MCAT - I took a practice and scored a 30. I think I could get around a 34 or higher on the real test.
2) I also opted to take the August MCAT (finishing physics, orgo work this semester). I did research on this and I figured that the schools I really wanted to get into didn't care about August MCAT. For some reason, I always manage to avoid MCAT-practice-time and rather read an interesting paper pertaining to my research work.
3) I am not a US citizen or a permanent resident yet (it should happen in the upcoming years).
4) I'm applying to some top-notch schools (and they do fund). If I don't get in this year, I'll reapply next year. But, I'm wondering what some more 'experienced' people out there think about my chances of getting a fully funded position at any of the following (keeping in mind the August MCAT / my citizenship status): Cornell, Harvard, Columbia, Duke, UPenn, WashU, Yale, Chicago - Pritzker, Baylor, UT Southwestern. Additionally, I may apply to Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai & Tufts.
5) finally - I think this is a great website - and I wanted to thank everyone for putting the time in, as some comments were really useful to me.
🙂