Non us training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted697535

Hi
Does anyone know if non us trained critical care physicians can work in the us?

Is it easy/difficult/expensive? Require usmle? Recertification exams?

By noon US trained I mean Canadian trained in particular.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You can practice ccm if you complete training in 'murica as far as I know.
Your experience will be valuable, but that and 4 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
With Royal College accredited Canadian training you should be able to sit for most US boards. I know ABIM for sure. You will have to take IM boards followed by CCM boards.

From ABIM website: "To be admitted to the ABIM Internal Medicine Certification Examination, physicians must have satisfactorily completed, by August 31 of the year of examination, 36 calendar months, including vacation time, of U.S. or Canadian graduate medical education accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec."

As far as I know you will not be able to get boarded and get a full license in most states with GME training completed outside US/Canada.

Based on your previous posts it looks like you are currently in Anesthesiology Residency in Canada.

Unlike in Canada, in the US getting board certified in a subspecialty (e.g. Critical Care) is usually through the primary specialty board (there are some exceptions to this broad rule). The American Board Of Anesthesiology publishes a document which outlines it's rules for access to American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) Certification Exams: http://www.theaba.org/PDFs/BOI/2018-Policy-Book. While the ABA allows for credit for the clinical base year in an training program affiliated with LCME school, the final three required years of training are to be completed in an ACGME program. Based on the way the rules are written residency in Canada would not get you access to US Anesthesiology Board exams.

Can a Canadian Trained (FRCPC certified) Critical Care Physician work in the US, the answer is yes, But the answer to the rest of your questions is going to depend a lot on which state you want to work in and what the individual hospital you want to work at would require:

e.g. Massachusetts will grant a graduate of a US or Canadian Medical School who has completed a Canadian Residency and has LMCC a full license on the basis of this training:Physician Licensing Fees and General Information

e.g. Louisiana does not seem to recognise LMCC but seems to accept Canadian residency, so you might have to take USMLEs if you wanted to work in Louisiana:Application & Instructions for Initial Licensure - Physicians | State Board of Medical Examiners

These were just examples of two states but the rules differ per state as they do between provinces, however it seems on the whole the combination of US or Canadian Medical School + Canadian Residency + LMCC will get you a full license or license by reciprocity in a lot of different states.

The hospital question comes down to if the individual hospital you want to work at will credential you and is willing to accept Royal College Certification as it is not clear you would have access to ABA certification, this is a much harder question to answer as it's also related to finding a job that wants to hire you, if they want to hire you enough this should not be a big obstacle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users