Nonclinical volunteer activity done since I started working...will this seriously hurt my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working full-time as a medical scribe which is from 8-5 every weekday. I have been volunteering at Meals on Wheels, but because it is only open on hours when I scribe, I won't be able to volunteer there anymore. I had written on my AACOMAS application that I planned on volunteering there for 2 hrs/week before matriculating to medical school, and since I submitted my app a while ago I can't edit that part out. This was the only nonclinical volunteering activity that I had, and there doesn't seem to be any nonclinical weekend volunteer activities around my area right now. I'm sure that if I interview at medical schools, it is likely that they'll ask me what I'm currently doing, and if I am still volunteering there (since I put that it is a current activity on my app). Would it severely hurt my chances that I have stopped a volunteering activity that I listed on my app, or is it fine since I do have a solid reason for it? I don't want to come off that I was lying on my app because I did not know what hours I was going to be assigned to as a scribe at the time, and I'm not really comfortable with asking my supervisor to alter my schedule for a volunteering activity, since the hospital I am working at really needs scribes during their business hours.

Members don't see this ad.

If I was in your position I would be sending updates through the secondary portals about the scribe job, since that’ll get you a ton more clinical experience before matriculation, and also let them know that you won’t be able to continue with meals on wheels.

I volunteer with Harvesters sorting and repacking food for distribution to local pantries, shelters, nursing homes, etc. They have shifts available on weekends from what I understand. I’m sure you’ll be able to find something to replace meals on wheels

Reactions: 1 user
If I was in your position I would be sending updates through the secondary portals about the scribe job, since that’ll get you a ton more clinical experience before matriculation, and also let them know that you won’t be able to continue with meals on wheels.

I volunteer with Harvesters sorting and repacking food for distribution to local pantries, shelters, nursing homes, etc. They have shifts available on weekends from what I understand. I’m sure you’ll be able to find something to replace meals on wheels
Thanks for your input. I submitted my secondaries over a month ago (before I got the job) but I plan on adding the job to the activities section on AACOMAS. The only other places closeby I can think of are a soup kitchen and food bank. The food bank doesn't offer weekends, but just emailed the soup kitchen to see if they do

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I submitted my secondaries over a month ago (before I got the job) but I plan on adding the job to the activities section on AACOMAS. The only other places closeby I can think of are a soup kitchen and food bank. The food bank doesn't offer weekends, but just emailed the soup kitchen to see if they do

A lot of secondary portals have pages where you can go and upload additional information and new activities. Some schools will actually ask that you use that page instead of emailing them updates directly. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user