none

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpideyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
None

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not apply to Lincoln Memorial, Rocky Vista, Liberty, California Health Sciences or the Midwesterns. AZCOM and CCOM are fine schools but you don’t have the MCAT for them. Similarly, your MD applications are likely donations. If you think you can improve >6 points, it might be worth it to retake.

Edit: I had to double check, but the Touros tend to go after students with higher MCAT as well. So don’t apply there.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not apply to Lincoln Memorial, Rocky Vista, Liberty, California Health Sciences or the Midwesterns?

why 6 points? any schools I should add?
AZOM and CCOM are the Midwesterns, which require higher MCATs from what is generally seen. The others are either new schools that are a complete unknown and likely will have problems training students, for-profit, or have concerning board scores and problems with administration/accreditation.

508 would help your DO chances and potentially give you a chance at MD. Shoot for 510+ though and get the CARS score over 125.

The only addition might be UIWSOM. They are newer but have matched a class, so worth an application. Also, you listed AT Still’s Kirksville campus. They have an Arizona one called SOMA you can apply to as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I hate to say it but these rural locations are making me upset lol. I have been born and raised in urban/suburb environment. Quite a culture shock this will be.

I’ve added the two schools you suggested and cut the others
I think those two are in San Antonio and near Phoenix, so that shouldn’t be too bad. I would take Pikeville off then if you don’t like rural. That school is pretty out there. The VCOM’s are in smaller locations but I think they’re in college towns like Auburn and you’re probably more familiar with Blacksburg and how that is.

GPA won’t help much from what I’ve heard and seen.

Good to know thank you! When it comes to residency, is it common to move to a different state than where you did your residency program?
Did you mean to say it’s common to move to a different state for residency than where you did medical school?

Students usually either try to match back to their home state or the state/region of the school they are attending. You are free to apply to other places too, but students are usually comfortable going somewhere that would be familiar at least a bit. I think many try for popular places as well like CA or NY either in residency or afterwards for the first attending job.

Sorry I meant as an attending. How common is it for people to move to a different place than where they did residency program?

I don’t have a number or stat but you aren’t going to be restricted. Speciality determines that more probably. You can find a FM or IM job anywhere, radiation oncology is obviously in only certain locations as an example.