Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Nontrad 3 II 2 WL

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by premed gator, Mar 15, 2019.

1. premed gator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Got the news from two schools this week that I was put on the waitlist and am still waiting to hear back from the third. Hoping for some advice on what I can improve on and if I should apply this cycle or wait.

Stats: Hispanic first gen FL resident
    MCAT: 516 (127,128,131,130)
    uGPA: 3.3 early trend of several Ws but upward trend with 3.95 in 15 hours of postbacc classes
    BCPM: 3.3
    Masters in microbio GPA: 3.78

clinical volunteering: 200 hours in free clinics and hospice
    Shadowing- 100 (derm, psych, Pcp, rheumatology, plastic surgeon)
    Non clinical: 1000 - student resource center
    Research: nothing significant ~100 hours microbio lab
    Leadership: created pipeline mentor ship program for underrepresented prehealth students, student government, philanthropy chairman
    hobbie: cooking (culinary club eboard)

Harvard
    Columbia
    BU (interview - WL)
    Michigan
    UCSF (secondary invite - hard screen)
    Usc
    Georgetown
    Emory
    Ohio state
    Mt sinai
    Einstein
    SUNY Downstate (interview)
    UM
    UF (interview - WL)

School list in retrospect was way too top heavy but I started with my reaches and ran out of money and time before getting to safeties. Secondaries complete in the end of August up to late September.

I thought my UF interview went great but I’m not sure if their laidback nature gave me false confidence (my interviewer called me bro on my way out??)

Since submitting secondaries I have been working in a restaurant full time, taking two BCPM courses at a university, and volunteering once a week at a clinic as a scribe. I don’t think I can have a new strongly written letter in time, unless an academic letter from one of my professors will suffice.

Considering taking two more courses to reach 30 hrs of PB and doing more clinical hours. Besides the GPA I’m unaware of any glaring pitfalls and am feeling discouraged that a masters, strong MCAT and some PB work still didn’t compensate for poor uGPA .

Apologize for the lengthy post. Any advice on where to go from here is appreciated.

2. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    With 3 interviews the odds are high you will receive an acceptance by June. If not you need a more extensive and appropriate school list. Applying to only 2 of your Florida schools was a major flaw in your application strategy.
    I suggest these schools:
    ALL your Florida MD schools (include NOVA MD)
    BU
    Tufts
    Quinnipiac
    Vermont
    New York Medical College
    Hofstra
    Einstein
    Seton Hall
    Drexel
    Temple
    Jefferson
    George Washington
    Georgetown
    Oakland Beaumont
    Medical College Wisconsin
    Loyola
    Rosalind Franklin
    Rush
    St. Louis
    Creighton
    Kaiser
    California University

3. OP
    OP
    premed gator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for the feedback. Do you still think odds are high even though UF and BU supposedly have low WL movement? Also, i did send my primary to many other schools but didnt complete the supplement. Will my PS need to change a lot? @Faha

#3 premed gator, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Although the odds at any one school may be low you have 3 schools where you could potentially be accepted. You will not need to change your PS a lot but you do need to apply to many more schools. Apply in June and complete all the secondaries by July.

premed gator likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    premed gator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have interview at two different positions this past week. Paid scribing for an ortho doc that vs a lab assistant that would be mostly grunt work ( PCR and Run gels)

@Faha which should I pursue? Primary goal is to strengthen my app although the scribing would Pay $15 an hour and is 10 minutes from my house vs the lab job is 40 minutes away and only pays $11.50.

6. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The scribing would be better since it involves some patient contact.

lalalaaaaaa and premed gator like this.
  7. lalalaaaaaa

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Save money and apply to more realistic schools in greater quantity. Pretty impressive you got so many interviews at your program list with your stats tbh so that's awesome and must mean your app is strong overall. I would just reapply, drop most of the programs you applied to this cycle if money is an issue and add realistic schools. Also add DO schools if you really want to be a doc.

Agree scribing is better for patient contact.

Send update emails to schools you interviewed at. Also if you get rejected from any of those schools ask for feedback about ways to improve your application. Good luck!